Fleas in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
My wife raises Great Pyrenees and is having a problem with fleas in one of the small pastures. It was suggested that we spray with Permethrin. We would be interested in any other suggestions if anyone has had to deal with this problem.

You could apply a topical to your dogs, I would personally reccomend advantix over frontline plus. Frontline fleas and ticks have to get on the animal to die, where as advantix repels and kills, plus advantix is approved for flies and mosquitos, you could try sevin dust in the pasture. Its pritty safe, and seems to work well.

Put Frontline on bout a dozen or so dogs and run them thro the pasture every 2 weeks---get rid of the fleas :lol:

Permethrin will work, however you can't just spray it once. You will need to spray 3 times, a week apart, in order to stop them.

grannysoo":t7ord5gz said:
Permethrin will work, however you can't just spray it once. You will need to spray 3 times, a week apart, in order to stop them.

Yes, you have to catch all the life cycles.

S&J":1g4om6z2 said:
My wife raises Great Pyrenees and is having a problem with fleas in one of the small pastures. It was suggested that we spray with Permethrin. We would be interested in any other suggestions if anyone has had to deal with this problem.

How large is this pasture?

Very small; about a quarter acre. We use it for the young dogs mostly so they can grow up with a few well tempered goats.

S&J":2yb6f1qj said:
Very small; about a quarter acre. We use it for the young dogs mostly so they can grow up with a few well tempered goats.

I've recommended diatomaceous earth several times. Get a lawn fertilizer spreader and put out a good layer of it across that little field. It's very fine powder so you'll want to do it when the air is still. All natural and works very well. While you're at it rub a handful into the dogs fur as well as the goats. Works on flies too.