Flash Rant: Postal service

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1jrh0jfk said:
At the old farm we used to lose mailboxes pretty regular. Finally put a 4 inch pipe filled with concrete and set 4 foot deep on wither side. Just like magic the problem was gone. Although I did see parts from a headlight and front grill by it a short time after I put the pipes in.
That is Illegal all standing mail boxes have to be BREAKAWAY upon impact
just hope if someone ever hits it you have a good lawyer

was a pretty big lawsuit a couple a yrs ago in Missouri on just this type of thing the mans insurance wouldn't payout because his mailbox was constructed Illegally and the last I heard he had a $2 million judgement against him and leins on all of his property

Angus Cowman":1t7xtolx said:
dun":1t7xtolx said:
At the old farm we used to lose mailboxes pretty regular. Finally put a 4 inch pipe filled with concrete and set 4 foot deep on wither side. Just like magic the problem was gone. Although I did see parts from a headlight and front grill by it a short time after I put the pipes in.
That is Illegal all standing mail boxes have to be BREAKAWAY upon impact
just hope if someone ever hits it you have a good lawyer

was a pretty big lawsuit a couple a yrs ago in Missouri on just this type of thing the mans insurance wouldn't payout because his mailbox was constructed Illegally and the last I heard he had a $2 million judgement against him and leins on all of his property
Interesting since in this area most of them are built similar to the way mine was, that's how I got the idea.

I've had the same mailbox since 1980. Doesn't have a scratch on it. I don't have a problem with the postal service either. I can mail a netflix movie back and get an email from netflix the same day saying they've recieved it. Don't have a P.O. box but do have a safe deposit box at the bank with nothing in it. Why did I post this useless unsolicited info? Hec if I know.

Mine is just the typical mail box and pole....but it does have about a 24 inch oak stump about 2 feet from it on one side. Noone has had the nerve to try and uproot it yet.

john250":1ewu0gp1 said:
People who use a PO Box instead of a real address are usually hiding something.

You hit a nerve all right.
I'm going into town today to arrange a PO Box, if there's time left after drafting and tagging cows.

From my e-mail: we want
all your stock, machinery, equipment, household possessions,
etc removed from the property on or before 31 May, 2010. You
still have equipment up at Yankee Rd farm which needs to be
removed by 31 May, 2010.

I called up about a sharemilking farm the other day. Owners were overwhelmed with applicants, many of them like me, farm owners had terminated their contracts, they had herds, machinery, nowhere to go, willing to take any job. One had a six month old baby.

100 of my cows are going to the saleyards on Monday. I've found temporary grazing for the remainder. And I'm big enough and single enough to cope with homelessness for a while.
That's why I'm getting a PO Box.

I've heard a few theories by now. One thing is obvious - this year farms are not selling; plenty on the market but sellers are holding out for more than buyers will pay I suppose.
That means sharemilkers on the top of the heap aren't making the step up to farm ownership. Which is preventing movement at the lower levels as well.

My stock agent reckons he's been around long enough to have seen another situation that has come together this year - cow prices have been steadily dropping for two years, while the milk price has gone up. Financially, a farm owner can take advantage of that by not renewing their sharemilker's contract, buying cows and putting a manager on (paying the guy wages), or sometimes farm owners buy cows and go back to milking them themselves when times are hard.
My farm owners are buying cows, have turfed me out one year into a three year contract. I didn't suspect them of the above because it's obvious that what they want is total control - and I would hope that by now they've realised a herd-owning 50/50 sharemilker is not their personal slave.

Anyway, I got that PO Box yesterday, came home to a message asking me to call a farm owner and I'm going to discuss options with him next week... maybe something's in the pipeline for me and the remaining 185 cows, maybe not.

Hope this is one of the times when door shuts, a window opens and it leads to something even better.

They can always scan the delivery confirmation lables, when they don't can cause some problems for us ebay sellers. Proof of delivery is sometimes very imprtant, and I don't know how many times, its scanned when it leaves, but isn't scanned at the point of delivery-thats laziness

GMN":955erwwc said:
They can always scan the delivery confirmation lables, when they don't can cause some problems for us ebay sellers. Proof of delivery is sometimes very imprtant, and I don't know how many times, its scanned when it leaves, but isn't scanned at the point of delivery-thats laziness
That is the cardinal sin...surprised that person is still on the payroll.

TexasBred":1jt59ikm said:
GMN":1jt59ikm said:
That is the cardinal sin...surprised that person is still on the payroll.
You must have forgotten......can't be fired, just promoted..... :lol:

Latest posts