Flakey Skin

Help Support CattleToday:

Acifex

Reaction score
Hello. I am a new one cow rancher (if you don't count the 2 horses, 5 dogs, 4 cats and 2 kids :D ). I noticed on SirLoin (mycalf) the other day that his nose was losing the hair on the top of it. This was before I started to put the halter on him. Now he is losing it down the left side of his nose too. At first I thought that he was rubbing it on the chain link fence, but I don't think that is it anymore. This morning I noticed that he was losing his hair on the top of his rump. I looked at it and scratched at it and the hair came away in little pieces with the skin. I thought that it was ring worm, but I didn't see anything under the skin and there is nothing under the skin on his nose. I sprayed blue coat on his rump after I took the pics.

What is this and is there a better way to treat it than Blue Coat? If I can use the Blue Coat can I spray it on his nose without any adverse affects?

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the pics being so large, but I tried to register at ranchers.net and there was something wrong and it would not let me do it. So I linked them to my FB account.

553180_3232027613446_1649324178_2578364_1928773764_n.jpg

534989_3232027013431_1649324178_2578363_248188973_n.jpg

Second picture looks like lice. Pull some hair, which should come off real easy, put in a baggy, and after awhile see if you have any little critters crawling on the baggy. Naturally, on the inside.

his nose looks like he might have rubbed the hair off eating or drinking. but thats just my guess. post this on the health board you'll get a better educated answer. try photobucket for the photos. i had the same problem with ranchers.

Thank you for the help. I don't know if the salve that I put on there will get rid of the lice, but the skin was starting to split and I wanted to keep it wet. Again, thanks and I am glad that I found this forum. :cboy: