Flags of our Fathers

Help Support CattleToday:

CB was correct it was a very moving movie. Had some interesting history in about the photo and how it changed the hope of America and helped raise money for war. And some very moving war scenes to let a person see just what these young men did and endured for our freedom.

I came away with two thought after watching it. One was the decision that Truman made to drop the bombs on Japan. When you see what the alternative was it was easy to see how he could make that decision. The Japanese were determined people and would have never given up.

The other was how ironic it is that My 16 year old son might soon be fighting a war with North Korea that will in large part have to do with protecting the same country that the men of WWII gave their lives to fight against.

As a side note not sure I would take any young children to see this movie it was pretty graphic with some pretty gory scenes.

We went to see the movie yesterday. It was good. I had always heard that the picture was posed, as there was no chance to catch the first flag raising on film. I hadn't really thought of the people of this country getting tired of the war, but I guess we were ready to get it done with, with so many lost and Europe won. My only complaint with it was that the photography was shaky, a style I am sure they did to try and capture the action on the battlefield. It kinda made my dizzy. Other than that it was a great movie. My dad was in Europe during WWII, building gliders. He has a lot of stories, even though he was a non-combatant.

warpaint":3gldquyn said:
Caustic Burno":3gldquyn said:
Good movie as I went to see it today. I haven't been to a movie in years but I had to see this one. The men in my life that were my guidance as a child seved at Pearl on Dec 7, and made the beach landings in the Pacific. Brought back a lot of memories of the kind of metal that generation of men and women were made of.

Good enough for you, good enough for me.

May God Bless, all our sons and daughters, serving today.

Semper Fi.

Lest not forget our ancestors who paid the price to give us all of this. November 7th is a very important day. If you don't do your part, they fought for nothing. Let's make 'em proud.

backhoeboogie":2jpl6pv1 said:
warpaint":2jpl6pv1 said:
Caustic Burno":2jpl6pv1 said:
Good movie as I went to see it today. I haven't been to a movie in years but I had to see this one. The men in my life that were my guidance as a child seved at Pearl on Dec 7, and made the beach landings in the Pacific. Brought back a lot of memories of the kind of metal that generation of men and women were made of.

Semper Fi.

Lest not forget our ancestors who paid the price to give us all of this. November 7th is a very important day. If you don't do your part, they fought for nothing. Let's make 'em proud.

I know what November 11th is, what is November 7th?

11th day of the 11th month on the 11th hour the signing of the end of WW1, took place.

chrisy":1wnhcmtb said:
backhoeboogie":1wnhcmtb said:
warpaint":1wnhcmtb said:
Caustic Burno":1wnhcmtb said:

Semper Fi.

11th day of the 11th month on the 11th hour the signing of the end of WW1, took place.

We vote that day, Chris...not for the president, but for congressional seats. And you can bet, I'll be there to place mine...with bells on.

Alice

Alice":3chujsfv said:
We vote that day, Chris...not for the president, but for congressional seats. And you can bet, I'll be there to place mine...with bells on.

Alice
If you're really gonna have bells on, it's probably not too hard to figure out how you vote.

Texan":3a7tkysh said:
Alice":3a7tkysh said:

Alice
If you're really gonna have bells on, it's probably not too hard to figure out how you vote.

I study my candidates and I split my vote when I feel the need...that help? :)

Bottom line, I do vote.

Alice

Texan":2rp6gi66 said:
Alice":2rp6gi66 said:

Alice

Thats no Joke.

Caustic Burno":1diydjn9 said:
How many plan to see this movie.
I will be at the first showing had an uncle made the beach landing on Iwo Jima and Okinawa that was awarded the Navy Cross.
He died in 2002 and left me pictures he took on Iwo Jima and Okinawa(sp) they are unbelievable what those men did to insure our freedoms.

Understand, I can't spell real well.

I ain't much into going and wathcing no movies, last one I saw on the big screen was THe Passion of the Christ. I'd like to see this one coming up though.

Unbelievable indeed. I believe very few people walking this earth today have a clue. I think the soldiers of WWI suffered the worst.

My father fought in WWII, the Pacific campaign, through the Phillipines, and actually made land fall in Japan after the second big one was dropped , Hiroshima, I think. He survied the war but died of cancer.

Begining at Pearl Harbor, the suffering of these people is unbelivable. Men swimming in water on fire fueld by diesel leaking from the burning ships and planes.

Those fighting on the eastern side, freezing, losing there fingers, toes, hands and feet to frost bite.

Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, and this one ain't no better. War is hell. War is life.

I'm so proud of all of them. I served. ,,I don't deserve the right to carry their dirty drawers.

Caustic Burno":1cccmvch said:
Texan":1cccmvch said:
Caustic Burno":1cccmvch said:
Thats no Joke.
I bet you don't have bells on when you go vote, do you cowboy? :lol:

I do get dressed up though wear my pink chaps and ride my 25 dollar horse to the polls.

Don't let him fool ya'...once he comes out of the closet with his pink chaps, he puts bells on all 10 toes. He literally lights up the sky! 8)

Alice

Triple D":20loqpnn said:
Caustic Burno":20loqpnn said:
How many plan to see this movie.
I will be at the first showing had an uncle made the beach landing on Iwo Jima and Okinawa that was awarded the Navy Cross.
He died in 2002 and left me pictures he took on Iwo Jima and Okinawa(sp) they are unbelievable what those men did to insure our freedoms.

Understand, I can't spell real well.

I ain't much into going and wathcing no movies, last one I saw on the big screen was THe Passion of the Christ. I'd like to see this one coming up though.

Unbelievable indeed. I believe very few people walking this earth today have a clue. I think the soldiers of WWI suffered the worst.

My father fought in WWII, the Pacific campaign, through the Phillipines, and actually made land fall in Japan after the second big one was dropped , Hiroshima, I think. He survied the war but died of cancer.

Begining at Pearl Harbor, the suffering of these people is unbelivable. Men swimming in water on fire fueld by diesel leaking from the burning ships and planes.

Those fighting on the eastern side, freezing, losing there fingers, toes, hands and feet to frost bite.

Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, and this one ain't no better. War is be nice. War is life.

I'm so proud of all of them. I served. ,,I don't deserve the right to carry their dirty drawers.

Triple D, sir, I wrote this once and it went into cyberspace, I guess. I just want you to know that I am honored to be writing this to you. I want to sincerely thank you for your service to our country at that time. You are so proud of them all...and I am so proud of you and every WWII vet that served our country. We owe all of you a debt of gratitude.

My father served in WWII...my mother served in WWII. It was a war like no other...you all are my heroes and heroines.

Alice

chrisy":g4y1rwsk said:

My apologies Chrisy. Someone already answered. It is our election day. I assume everyone knows things forgetting that this forum is a world wide thing. I read your posts, know you're from England and read the Aussie posts too. I just forget to quantify things in my mind.

Occasionally I hear the, "It doesn't make any difference if I vote..." whine from someone and get a bit apalled. That is sort of like telling a soldier he didn't make any difference either when he gave his life for his country. He was just one man...etc. You've probably heard similar things.

I vote. You can count on it. My ancestors gave me the honor and priviledge.

Alice":1vd5wbu5 said:
Caustic Burno":1vd5wbu5 said:
Texan":1vd5wbu5 said:
Caustic Burno":1vd5wbu5 said:
Thats no Joke.
I bet you don't have bells on when you go vote, do you cowboy? :lol:

I do get dressed up though wear my pink chaps and ride my 25 dollar horse to the polls.

Don't let him fool ya'...once he comes out of the closet with his pink chaps, he puts bells on all 10 toes. He literally lights up the sky! 8)

Alice

You been sneakin a peek huh. Had to to get your facts right.