fl fire ants - how to kill

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
besides the expensive store bought stuff is there another method to kill fire ants without killing off the grass as well?

Orthene tobacco spray is by far the cheapest and most deadly spray there is for fireants. You will not find a hill in a bacca patch here.

Also, someone mentioned to me that when we add 15 lbs /ac of sulfur to our fertilizer mix, fire ants seem to disappear. I changed from a premix to a custom blend and started adding the sulfur. As the fella noted, I don't see many fire ant beds - especially in the hay fields that get frequent doses. Can't prove it, don't know why it works, don't know if it works. Coincidence or not - I have very few if any.

Orthene tobacco spray

is this easy to get? i am not familiar with it. thanks.

jvicars":1rtqysqw said:
Orthene tobacco spray

Yes. Most feed or seed stores will have it. I think it is restricted but since it is so good they also make another type anyone can buy that goes under the name Orthene Ant Killer. I have seen this at HomeDepot. It smells like rotten eggs. I use it in my yard. Its a white powder and comes in a can. I punch a few holes in the foil at the top and use like a salt shaker. Just a little bit shook on a mound will have them dead and dying in a couple of hours. Next day they are dead. Haven't relocated but dead.

In tobacco patches its mixed with water for worms and such. It will get them quick. I'd get this kind if I could - shouldn't be hard.

Jogeephus":ln7okefd said:
jvicars":ln7okefd said:
Orthene tobacco spray

Yes. Most feed or seed stores will have it. I think it is restricted but since it is so good they also make another type anyone can buy that goes under the name Orthene Ant Killer. I have seen this at HomeDepot. It smells like rotten eggs. I use it in my yard. Its a white powder and comes in a can. I punch a few holes in the foil at the top and use like a salt shaker. Just a little bit shook on a mound will have them dead and dying in a couple of hours. Next day they are dead. Haven't relocated but dead.

In tobacco patches its mixed with water for worms and such. It will get them quick. I'd get this kind if I could - shouldn't be hard.

What you described is Orthene 75S. Active ingredient is acephate. Works well . Smells bad enough to kill anything big enough to die.

BC":3qvez7mp said:
Jogeephus":3qvez7mp said:
jvicars":3qvez7mp said:
Orthene tobacco spray

What you described is Orthene 75S. Active ingredient is acephate. Works well . Smells bad enough to kill anything big enough to die.

BC is it restricted or not? I can't remember. :oops:

Jogeephus":3a7qsyae said:
BC":3a7qsyae said:
Jogeephus":3a7qsyae said:
jvicars":3a7qsyae said:
Orthene tobacco spray

BC is it restricted or not? I can't remember. :oops:

Not in Texas.

jvicars
use Dursban (chlorpyrifos) granules or the generic from Gro-pro now Etigra (INVERNESS, Fla) it is the most used chemical to treat golf courses in the southeast for insects.

50 lbs will treat a 1/2 acre one treatment in the spring and one in the fall. A 50 lb bag should run about $60 for the generic brand. Put it in a push spreader and treat your yard, it will kill all insects, ants, grub worms, mole crickets, roaches, and any other insect that finds it.

It's the best thing we have found for the money here in the panhandle of Florida and all my family uses it because my nephew is allergic to fire ants and at 18 months old stopped breathing from 3 ant bites. Six years old now and gets shots for them ever other week and still swells up something awlful from one bite.

We also sell it at our Farm Supply store and everyone that we get to try it loves it.

$120 per acre twice a year is pretty steep. Orthene will cost you $8/acre, Dursban $12, Sevin $10 and Lannate about $10/acre. Any and all of these will kill them at a much cheaper price. Any time you start buying baits or granular you are going to pay a higher price cause you are paying for liability. L&G on the label is also another sign that you are paying for this as well.

And yes, I know Dursban is supposed to be off the market but somehow can still get my hands on it - only under a different name. And as FC pointed out, TS has a formulation of it as well.

jogeephus

I'm talking about full ground treatment in the yard not mound treatment, with a 2.32% mix. You can get Dursban pro which is 23.5 % (chlorpyrifos) or Dursban 50 (50%) which will treat more than a 1/2 acre per bag but it is restricted.

You can use it for mound treatment too and it works. We've used Orethene (acephate) and Sevin before but nothing has given us the long term effects of the chlorpyrifos granules and the fact that it gets all the roaches that come in when my wife wants me to put pinestraw in the flowerbeds and the mole crickets and grub worms which makes my yard look better, and it also works great on fleas & ticks around the dog pens which in turn makes me not have to worry with the dogs as much.

It can also be used to control termites too, by the time I'd figure in all the extra money and time it makes it worth while.

We have customers who only treat in the spring and are pleased with the results but we recomend treating twice a year.

Florida Cattle, I understand what you mean but I'm referring to pasture care not around the house. Dursban granules is just Dursban impregnated in ground up corn cobs or some other filler. Why not just spray the yard with the active ingredient. It would be much cheaper and should do the same thing.

Y

Watch out with baits like Amdro and such, I got in big trouble when I put it out and the wifeeeee's chickens started dying. Which brings to mind another question. If it will kill yard birds, I bet it kills quail and other game / wild birds that might eat it..........Don't know for sure but it sure killed her chickens..... :shock:

Florida cattle":1o9yxb0m said:
jvicars
use Dursban (chlorpyrifos) granules or the generic from Gro-pro now Etigra (INVERNESS, Fla) it is the most used chemical to treat golf courses in the southeast for insects.

50 lbs will treat a 1/2 acre one treatment in the spring and one in the fall. A 50 lb bag should run about $60 for the generic brand. Put it in a push spreader and treat your yard, it will kill all insects, ants, grub worms, mole crickets, roaches, and any other insect that finds it.

It's the best thing we have found for the money here in the panhandle of Florida and all my family uses it because my nephew is allergic to fire ants and at 18 months old stopped breathing from 3 ant bites. Six years old now and gets shots for them ever other week and still swells up something awlful from one bite.

We also sell it at our Farm Supply store and everyone that we get to try it loves it.

Doesn't it also kill your beneficial insects and earthworms?