fixing rectal prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a heifer that has a rectal prolapse. It's been going in and out for a couple weeks now. So as I was going through town the other day I stopped and asked the vet. He gave me an 'S' shaped needle and some stuff that looks like shoelace..... told me to stick two fingers in and stitch it up. That was it! The neighbor said to take a tube like from the shop vac and stitch around that. Since I don't do needle point or even darn socks can anyone give me better instructions? Do I knot the tread? How big of an opening do I leave? How do I tie it off? ETC????? Thanks!!!

I have seen it all now the vet took one inch pcv pipe about 4 inches long with a coupling on each end. The vet inserted up the anus and tied off between the coupling. He stated the intestine of the outside would sluf off and scar over. As soon as her calf reaches six months the cow is sale barn bound. The vet this just happens once in awhile.now I have been messin with cows for over thirty years and I have never seen this.

This is a post on cow of mine about two months ago Vet cured her and it was bad.

probably the best thing would be to take her to the vet & let him do it or have him come out & do it for you.

if those are not options, first, if the prolapse is out, you'll need to wash it off & clean it up before putting it back in. after you do that & get it back in, basically the stitching is just like tying a shoe. start at the bottom & lace straight across. then work your way up going side to side just like threading shoelaces. leave a small opening at the top & tie it off in a knot.

I've seen quite a few cows that in the very end of their pregnancy show a bit of a rectal prolapse. I've never fussed with them or worried about it when the 'ball' sized prolapse goes back in when they stand up. After calving I've never had any problems with them.

However, I did have one problem with a rectal prolapse this year. The animal in question had a rectal prolapse that did NOT go back in. Ended up with about seven inches of swollen rectum hanging out her back end.

It was a pretty gross procedure pushing that rectum back inside of her, especially since she kept straining the whole time due to the irritation of those membranes. My man and I had both arms up to the elbows inside of her to push it back into place, and everytime we thought we had won the battle, she'd give a grunt and WHOOSH - out it would pop again (in the process liberally decorating us with less than desirable fecal material - ick!) When we finally got the darn thing in a fairly good position, I had to keep my arms inside her to keep her from expelling it again while he sewed a 'purse' sitch around the anus.

Basically, you thread your needle with a fair amount of thread, then make a puncture with the needle beside the top of the rectum. Then you draw the thread through the hole, and make another sliding stich beside the bottom of the rectum on the same side as the first. The next two are similar, but starting on the bottom first and then finishing up at the top on the opposite side you started on. The concept is somewhat like a draw string on a bag. Basically, you leave enough slack so she can pass a normal bowel movement, we left an opening about three or four inches in diameter. Then you draw the ends of the suturing thread together, loop it in a knot and pray the darn things stays put. I was lucky there, because the rectal prolapse did stay in.

Unfortunately in this animal's case, her revenge was to prolapse her vagina. So after putting that back in and throwing some stitches at it, I cut my losses and sent the useless cull to town. She was about two and a half months from calving, and it was obvious that she wasn't going to be able to make it to calving time in any sort of shape.

I don't know if any of this will help you, can only hope it does. Good luck with your heifer.

Take care.

I had a bull prolapse several inches of rectum and it did not go back in spontaneously. The vet came out and put in the purse string suture. The darn beast wouldn't eat a thing and he also couldn't pass his bowels and would try to vomit. So, I had to give him enemas twice per day. The opening wasn't too small, he just hurt too much to eat or poop :mad: . After four days, I called the vet and we agreed to cut the suture (so if you really do this, leave some suture dangling so you can grab it when you remove the stitch). One minute after pulling the suture he went over and ate for the fist time :lol: , required no further enemas and went on to be a herd sire without any problems :clap: . A friend of mine who is a Brangus breeder, states that if they are small he doesn't do a thing with them and they have not been a problem.

Our vet did the procedure here on the farm, but only after giving an epidural shot to reduce the pain of the suturing.

Good Luck. :cboy:

Bill

Latest posts