Fixing leak in sprayer tank

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
I have a plastic sprayer tank leaking around were a metal insert for a
Mounting bolt is molded in.
Without driving 60miles round trip. I have jb weld, gorilla glue, and rtv silicon. I can reach in and access it from the inside.
Opinions?

Id give it a try, its worth a shot. I know we had a ac line on our tractor get cracked, right at start of hay season. Dad decided to try some jb weld on it to see if itd buy us time till new line could get here, it worked like a charm. Needless to say new line is here but still in the shop, been too busy to get it on and the patch up has been working fine, so no real hurry to replace. As far as which one to use id prolly lean to the jb weld or silicon.

I would use JB WELD that's my duct tape. I personally wouldn't use silicone. Depending on whether you can set tank where the jb weld wont run down id use it but silicone wont run down like jb weld.. Make sense?

I think either the JB Weld or Gorilla Glue will work well. The silicone would work, but would likely be even more temporary

skyhightree1":3kv3mt5t said:
I would use JB WELD that's my duct tape. I personally wouldn't use silicone. Depending on whether you can set tank where the jb weld wont run down id use it but silicone wont run down like jb weld.. Make sense?

Makes sense. I don't care much for silicon. Jbs good.
Have you ever used gorilla glue? I'll put it like this. It's what's holding the heel on my left boot

fenceman":3rt07s03 said:
skyhightree1":3rt07s03 said:

Makes sense. I don't care much for silicon. Jbs good.
Have you ever used gorilla glue? I'll put it like this. It's what's holding the heel on my left boot

Heck yea I use gorilla blue a lot but never on a tank or anything. I have also glued the heel on my work boot as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea silicone isn't my favorite either. I like using the quick setting JB Weld mostly because it typically gets tacky in about 5-10 minutes.

If it is going to have to stick to the plastic tank as well as the metal I think I would use the gorilla glue. I am not sure JB will stick to the plastic.

Gunner":1rvv0b6c said:
If it is going to have to stick to the plastic tank as well as the metal I think I would use the gorilla glue. I am not sure JB will stick to the plastic.
It will stick to plastic, just needs to be really clean

Gunner":2hq0caxc said:

If you think its too slick ruff it up with some sand paper and clean with brake cleaner or alcohol.

Really doubt if any of the adhesives mentioned would adhere to the plastic which is my guess polythene. If you can get to the crack with a soldering iron then melt the plastic back in place. Repaired a liquid feed tank that I punctured with the hay fork using the soldering iron technique..

fenceman":15fubigq said:
I have a plastic sprayer tank leaking around were a metal insert for a
Mounting bolt is molded in.
Without driving 60miles round trip. I have jb weld, gorilla glue, and rtv silicon. I can reach in and access it from the inside.
Opinions?
Is the insert itself still holding the bolt tension, but just leaking?
I have a small 35 gal spray tank that developed that kind of leak (leaked around the mounting insert) and I just loosened all the other bolts, then completely removed the bolt where the leak was, and made a 2" od thin rubber washer with a hole just big enough for the bolt to tightly slip thru, but smaller hole than the outer dimension of the insert. Tightened it all back down and it never leaked again.
YRMV

hurleyjd":3h18m3i3 said:
Really doubt if any of the adhesives mentioned would adhere to the plastic which is my guess polythene. If you can get to the crack with a soldering iron then melt the plastic back in place. Repaired a liquid feed tank that I punctured with the hay fork using the soldering iron technique..
I've fixed a radiator pressure overflow tank with HB weld, held for the 5 years I used it till I sold it. Fixed a neighbors sprayer tank with it last year. Looks like crap but ti's still holding. Used it to fix rubbermaid water tanks, held fine. The key is to get the area really clean and it will bond.

I also use starting ehter as a degreaser/cleaner when using JB Weld

I'd recommend acetone as a degreaser (a lot of ethers have lubricants in them), or better yet, methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK) or "gunwash" for paint guns...that stuff works the best!

as for what to seal it with, windshield urethane in a caulking gun cartridge.. about $10, and it STICKS LIKE NOTHING ELSE... I guarantee it will be fixed permanently!... JB weld isn't flexible enough to be used in most applications requiring a good seal.. and plastics flex like heck..

If you can get it (local auto parts store), I think you'll be happy with the fix for years to come

Used the jb weld. Cleaned it with starting fluid(dun I use it for everything including hand cleaner) roughed it up with sandpaper. Used the sprayer all day today. Looks good no leaks.

fenceman":304idtm3 said:
Used the jb weld. Cleaned it with starting fluid(dun I use it for everything including hand cleaner) roughed it up with sandpaper. Used the sprayer all day today. Looks good no leaks.
I use it for hand cleaner too.

Just wait until you guys discover 'gunwash'.. way better and cheaper for any cleaning stuff... If you put it in a paint sprayer, it works wonders for cleaning small parts like chainsaw carbs, bearings etc

Latest posts