Fixed Time Artificial Insemination vs Split Time

Help Support CattleToday:

sideshow

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any new protocols out there with higher success rates. What protocols have you tried and what was your success rates?

Going to try 14 day cidr, 16 days later shot of PG, 66ish hours later ai everything with a rubbed off patch no GnRh, 24 hours later ai everything that didnt have patch rubbed off and give those GnRH

Great protocol for heifers not so much on cows, id use gnrh on everything, to much time and money involved to let $2 stop even 1 pregnancy.
With that protocol they will have a mild heat after removing cidr, don't breed then, just not a very fertile heat.

We did a 14 day cidr on our heifers with similar protocol. Out of 166 cidrs, we only had 3, yes 3... heifers not show heat in that window. Well over half of these would be our 2nd calf heifers. We hope they all stick! We were extremely pleased so far.

I'm going to have to consider this 14 day sync as an option. Sounds like its very successful.
I use the 7 day Cidr protocol with great success. Occasionally I'll leave the Cidr in 10 days instead of 7 if I'm pushing a short time post calving. Have had fantastic results.
I also am a firm believer in using GNRH on everything. I agree with Bse completely.
We run in the high 90% for first breeding conception yearly.

MRRherefords":37h3ji9m said:
We use 7 day CIdr protocol for heifers and cows. Breed cows 62-63 hours post cidr pull and heifers 54 hours post cidr pull. Works well for us as well as others I know of.

we did this this year on heifers and the group at my house we settled 6 out of 8 first service....bull got one and one never bred...

did the cows at the longer interval as above and while I don't have numbers in front of me they went pretty well....neighbor was happy.

my cows I used the Michigan G6G and did pretty well. I messed up one by using sexed heifer semen on a bull producer and she recycled so i bred her 2nd time with regular semen and she is pregnant carrying a bull.

Wanted to follow up on this. We did the same protocol on some new heifers we purchased. We were a bit concerned because they're much smaller (their yearling weight is darn near our weaning weight) and we don't normally breed this late (regular season for most) in this heat but at day two AM, we've AI'd nearly half (57) the bunch already. And have 32 more that we can AI this evening.

NEFarmwife":39b1cx08 said:
Wanted to follow up on this. We did the same protocol on some new heifers we purchased. We were a bit concerned because they're much smaller (their yearling weight is darn near our weaning weight) and we don't normally breed this late (regular season for most) in this heat but at day two AM, we've AI'd nearly half (57) the bunch already. And have 32 more that we can AI this evening.

We have AI'd 96 out of this group, not including one we couldn't get thru but turned bull on her and he got her. A few sorted off to breed in AM but not sure of numbers.

I'd say, this protocol has been the most successful with our heats on heifers.

When we do preg checking, I'll be sure to come back and update on whether AI stuck.

We synced 16 females with the the 7 day CIDR protocol this year and have had 13 of the 16 show heat so far and serviced AI. Tomorrow is probably the last day we'll see heat then plan to haul them to summer pasture this weekend. We even had 2 cows that somehow lost their CIDRs still come in heat, 1 we even put back in twice and wondered if another cow was pulling it out because we found the first one that looked like something had chewed on the tail that hangs out. Had a good conception rate with this protocol last year and pretty pleased to see it work well again as even if some of them don't settle to the AI service the herd bulls usually get them settled on next heat and keep their calving intervals within a range we can sync them again next year.

Been following this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=115237 and not sure a trailer ride about a mile down the road will put much stress on our cows but this is a good read for that topic for those that have to haul longer distances: https://www.wlj.net/top_headlines/preve ... f2310.html

Latest posts