Fix this worn out pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeBo said:
Spray with Remedy and you will only brush hog once. Lime always reduces the sedge on our farms. If I had to choose between spray and fertilizer I would take spray, nothing cleans a place up faster.

Do you have any luck controlling locust sprouts with a spray?

I have very good success cutting locust in the winter and spraying the stump with garlon 4. Have had good success with almost any tree under 4-5" in diameter.

I don't have the time or the back for that, Kenny. Too many of them. I am looking for something I can broadcast spray, affordably, after bush hogging. Bunch of them. I have had good luck with Remedy where I can spot spray, and with Tordon when cutting and treating the stump. Problem is, these two worst patches are bordered by neighbor woods on two sides, downhill from me in some places too.

I know this, when I lime my broom sedge significantly reduces. I would also recommend some 24D with Remedy. Huge improvement

JMER1533 said:
Maybe also try putting down some brassicas with deep tap roots this fall then graze it or roll it. The tap roots will aerate the soil and the leaf litter will build organic matter. If you're able, rolling the grasses (assuming you're not grazing) will be better for the soil than mowing.

the time is perfect to put down a summer cover crop mix to build the soil.
Brassicas are great...but a mix is better.
Will build the soil...jumpstart the microbiota in the soil...draw quail and turkeys..great for pollinators..deep rooted and opens up the soil...just drill it in and where the grass is good then it won't do muck.. where the grass is weak it will supress weeds.
a basic mix we use around here is
Pearl Millet
Sorghum Sudan
cowpeas
sunflower
sun hemp
chicory
Dwarf Essex Rape