Fist size knots on neck of cow

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
I have 1 young hiefer & 3year old 1st time cow that has developed a large knot on the left side of thier neck in the same location.
It looks like what a cattle grub would make before it pops out.
I have medicated both by Ivemectan shots just two months prior & back pour on. I have since caught them & also re- meddicated both. The knots continue to grow but I have not seen a grub escape nor is there a small opening. The knots do not apear to be attathed to muscle. You can grab & squeeze them and move them around they are only skin deep.
What is the incubation period of a cattle grub? and why is the medicine not doing it's job? Or can you suggest a alternative?
20 YEAR RANCHER NEW TO ME STUMPED
ROCKNW[/b]

Reaction to the shots maybe? Unless the wormer/medication you're using is a grubacide it won;t affect the warbles.

dun

BOTH MEDICINES THAT I USED THE POUR ON & IVERMEC+ SHOT
ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF GRUBS.
I HAD THOUGHT OF THE REACTION TO SHOT LOCATION MYSELF SINCE BOTH KNOTS APPEAR TO BE IN SAME LOCATION THAT I WOULD APPLY SHOTS JUST UNDER SKIN.
IF THATS THE CASE IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE & I HAVE USED THIS SAME MEDICINE ROTATED FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS. I CHANGE NEW NEEDLES ON EVERY ANIMAL I MAY BE THE ONLY RANCHER IN MY AREA THAT DOES HAVE WORKED A LOT OF ROUND UPS. IT'S USUALLY SHOOT AND KEEP ON GETTING IT. IF IT IS A REACTION YOU WOULD THINK THAT IT WOULD SUBSIDE BY NOW?

I vote for reaction to a shot. Gave calves alpha-7 shot in April, most developed some form of knot, some as big as a closed fist. A few still have a trace of a knot on their neck.

cfpinz

Pink eye vaccine (piliguard) often causes the same type of knot at the site of injection. I have a cow that developed such a knot 2 years ago and it is still there, but a little smaller

I had a steer get a lump like that before. My Dad said sometimes they'll get an oat or something lodged in sort of in through the skin behind their jaw and it will cause a lump like that. Don't really know if that's an old farmer's tale, but that's what he figured anyway. Good Luck

Will continue to wait & watch, hope it's not a tumor & try to keep the warden from having a cow.
Thanks for your input
ROCKNW

if it is the same area that you vaccinated, it is an injection site reaction. Nothing to worry about. Won't effect the animal or the meat, it comes off with the hide.

cfpinz":8ll5lf98 said:
I vote for reaction to a shot. Gave calves alpha-7 shot in April, most developed some form of knot, some as big as a closed fist. A few still have a trace of a knot on their neck.

cfpinz

Me too. That has happened to me before. Even when I get the needle down in the triangle where it is supposed to be.

We havea coming 2 year old heifer that still has a knot from every shot she's ever had. Like the pimples on the girl named Sassafras, "some is big and some is small and some you can hardly see at all".

dun

Latest posts