Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
I was just wondering what tide (in or out) do you like to fish - and why. Along the Texas gulf coast there are many grass flats with guts and cuts leading to and from the flats. I like to fish the out going tide at these cuts. The reason? In mind mind it brings the bait fish out of the marsh to waiting game fish. Seems to work for me but was just wondering if any of you folks that fish the Texas bays have a different technique and does it work for you?

By the way, CB. Nice report on the reds. I've had a few of those days and it is always fun when the grandkid is with me.

lavacarancher":196ii8xi said:
I was just wondering what tide (in or out) do you like to fish - and why. Along the Texas gulf coast there are many grass flats with guts and cuts leading to and from the flats. I like to fish the out going tide at these cuts. The reason? In mind mind it brings the bait fish out of the marsh to waiting game fish. Seems to work for me but was just wondering if any of you folks that fish the Texas bays have a different technique and does it work for you?

By the way, CB. Nice report on the reds. I've had a few of those days and it is always fun when the grandkid is with me.

If I am chasing reds I want high to out going in Galveston bay where I fish.
Trout didn't really matter as long as it was moving on the deeper reefs I liked to fish.
Prefered incoming on Dollar reef and Half Moon Shoal, Seabrook and Kemah flats a high tide
Marker 51 and Four Bit Reef in East Bay out going.
I kept a journal for years on conditions and lures one of my boys has it.
I will be chasing them on the 21st through the 23rd.

I learned a heck of a fishing lesson out by Marker 51 years ago.
Went out one night as there was a gas platform nearby with a nice bright flare.
Water was crystal clear that night the trout were on that shell pad lined up in V like geese.
Tide was out going and we were using tout tails wouldn't touch them.
After about 30 minutes they turned on like a light switch could actually see them fighting over the lure.
About 30 minutes passed they turned off and lined up in a V again and wouldn't touch anything.

Around here in the creeks as long as the tide is moving it's productive, probably a little better on the outgoing. In the flats for trout tide is less of a concern.

I have a friend who guides out of Port O'Connor, and I go down there and fish with him once or twice a year. We start early and fish until we get our limit or get ready to go home. I think he looks at tides to determine where to fish, I'm just along for the ride. I just love getting out on the water, if we catch fish that's a bonus (although we pretty much always do).

I have fished just about every estuary on the Texas coast. I used to like to go to Port O'Conner especially in the Winter. Have a couple of spots that always produced fish. One of them was fish pond but I have a hard time getting into that area now because Pass Cavallo has breached and the tide rips through there and looks really dangerous. The other spot is back in one of the oil channels by where the old Coast Guard station used to be just off Saluria Bayou. There's an abandoned well head back in there that has consistently held fish in the Winter.

I normally fish East Bay in Big Pasture. Not a lot of pressure in there because most folks can't get back there with their boats. In mid summer I go to what's left of Hanna's reef/Ladies pass area but since Ike the fish don't seem to hold in the area too much. I have fished all of the Galveston Bay complex at one time or another. Wife's family has a place at Crystal Beach on the ICW side so it's a little easier to fish East Bay

This month's fishing expedition is to the Land Cut/Baffin bay area. Have a friend who has a place in the land cut and we usually stay there. In that area I fish Rocky Slough, marker five area, nine mile hole (dead mans hole) and severe places in Baffin but I really like the bad lands at Baffin.

In July our trip will be to Hackberry, La and for the first time we will fish unguided there. Been there several times and I think I know where the hot spots are.

September will bring fishing (and bird hunting) to SPI. Fish several spots down there including South Bay, unnecessary island and points east of Cullin House pretty close to Arroyo Colorado. One year we hung (and landed) a seven foot black tip in the bay on light tackle. Fought the shark for about an hour and a half before it tired out. Caught it on a strawberry tout tail right in the corner of the mouth.

Seabrook, Kemah flats along with Moses lake are my favorite winter holes.
The Diversionary Canal in West Bay has yielded me some monsters in the winter.
Four Bit reef is not that far from Hanna's without the pressure Hanna gets.
Dickinson bay is always good for some Reds if you can't catch one there you have dog shyt
on your boat.
Like Greens Lake and Karankawa Reef in the Spring.
Old Intercoastal in West Bay was always fun never knew if the mirrolure was going to get hammered by
a trout or a red.
Caught a Snook one time there only one I ever caught in my life.
Used to fish with the wifes uncle it was fun getting that 26 foot Aquasport in there on a couple of trips.
Have tore them up at Cambell's Bayou as well.

lavacarancher":54m52o56 said:
I have fished just about every estuary on the Texas coast. I used to like to go to Port O'Conner especially in the Winter. Have a couple of spots that always produced fish. One of them was fish pond but I have a hard time getting into that area now because Pass Cavallo has breached and the tide rips through there and looks really dangerous. The other spot is back in one of the oil channels by where the old Coast Guard station used to be just off Saluria Bayou. There's an abandoned well head back in there that has consistently held fish in the Winter.

I normally fish East Bay in Big Pasture. Not a lot of pressure in there because most folks can't get back there with their boats. In mid summer I go to what's left of Hanna's reef/Ladies pass area but since Ike the fish don't seem to hold in the area too much. I have fished all of the Galveston Bay complex at one time or another. Wife's family has a place at Crystal Beach on the ICW side so it's a little easier to fish East Bay

This month's fishing expedition is to the Land Cut/Baffin bay area. Have a friend who has a place in the land cut and we usually stay there. In that area I fish Rocky Slough, marker five area, nine mile hole (dead mans hole) and severe places in Baffin but I really like the bad lands at Baffin.

In July our trip will be to Hackberry, La and for the first time we will fish unguided there. Been there several times and I think I know where the hot spots are.

September will bring fishing (and bird hunting) to SPI. Fish several spots down there including South Bay, unnecessary island and points east of Cullin House pretty close to Arroyo Colorado. One year we hung (and landed) a seven foot black tip in the bay on light tackle. Fought the shark for about an hour and a half before it tired out. Caught it on a strawberry tout tail right in the corner of the mouth.
I have a camp on redfish / stingree and fish Yates and big pasture a lot . It's funny sitting in Yates and watching the boats get stuck . We fish quite a bit in hackberry too . My father n law has a camp there .

JSCATTLE":3hzpquvw said:
lavacarancher":3hzpquvw said:

I have a camp on redfish / stingree and fish Yates and big pasture a lot . It's funny sitting in Yates and watching the boats get stuck . We fish quite a bit in hackberry too . My father n law has a camp there .

Small world. Wife's place is on Redfish. Small yellow house with the new bathroom downstairs. It was one of the places that survived Ike.

Here's a website for you ol salts. tides4fishing.com.... This site is accurate and you can plan your fishing trips well in advance. Check it out you'll love it

Ours had minimal damage . Everything down stairs was gone but the house made it . It's actually my inlaws place but we use it a bunch . Wife is An only child . I use tides 4 fishing for east bay . It doesn't have a tide station for north sabine . Lava maybe we will run into each other . Our place is blue with the new wood fence about 3 rd or 4 th place past the first travel trailers .

JSCATTLE said:
Ours had minimal damage . Everything down stairs was gone but the house made it . It's actually my inlaws place but we use it a bunch . Wife is An only child . I use tides 4 fishing for east bay . It doesn't have a tide station for north sabine . Lava maybe we will run into each other . Our place is blue with the new wood fence about 3 rd or 4 th place past the first travel trailers .[/quot

Yes it would be nice if they had numbers for north Sabine Lake as well as Calcasieu. I have sent emails to the site master requesting this information . Perhaps if they got more requests, they might publish it.