Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
What is your favorite type of fish down south. Up here, we mostly go for pickerel and sauger. I enjoy fishing for and eating Jackfish and Muskies. We also have lots of large mouth bass, but we usually throw those back. Carp and Catfish up here are mostly a garbage fish, Fun to hook into but we throw them back as well. I was watching a show the other day and the people were eating what looked to be deep fried catfish with the fins still on. They were just little ones though. I've tried catfish baked before because some Americans told me it was good. It didn't impress me much. Is there a way to cook catfish so they taste decent? What is your favorite freshwater fish for eating?

IMO, the only way to fix catfish is rolled in cornmeal and flour with cajun spices and fried to a golden brown! Serve with hushpuppies, fried potatoes and iced tea!

I love to catch and eat them big ole bucket mouth bass. THE colder the water like in your country the slower they grow but in the south 6-15 lbs is common.I have an excellant way for you to fix those carp too. Skin or scale like any fish,lay on a pine board 2 inches wider and longer than the fish,bake at 300 degrees for 40 minuetes. When done throw the carp in the garbage and eat the pine board ! :lol:

Fried bass or catfish is good. The best is some of those slab crappie or some nice bream that are as thick as the top of your hand.

Cattle Rack, how big was the catfish you tried? I prefer the smaller ones (under 5 lbs.), if they get much bigger the flesh gets a little mealy (?), not sure if thats the right word. And don't judge all catfish by baked, like fit2btied & MPR deep fried is the only way to go.

;-)

As far as pure taste goes crappie would be number one for me. Catfish and bluegill would tie for second. When factoring practicality in with taste catfish would win out overall. All fried, of course.

However, the wife has a way of baking catfish filets with Worcestershire sauce that is extremely good. I'll get the recipe from her if anybody wants it.

Craig-TX

Cattle Rack, how big was the catfish you tried? I prefer the smaller ones (under 5 lbs.), if they get much bigger the flesh gets a little mealy (?), not sure if thats the right word. And don't judge all catfish by baked, like fit2btied & MPR deep fried is the only way to go.

I would say that catfish was probably around 30 lbs. Maybe that was the problem. I think deep fried looks pretty interesting. How do you get rid of the bones?

If you catch a cat much over 5 lbs you have to make sure to remove the fat. It's nasty and will spoil the flavor and texture of the meat. On a big one (e.g. your 30 pounder) it's easiest if the fish is chilled. That makes it much easier to differentiate between fat and meat. On 2-5 lb catfish I always filet them. We used to skin and scale fish. Too easy to filet them nowadays. Of course, if times get hard we would have to go back to the old way.

Craig-TX

For freshwater, cats and crappie are hard to beat. I like channel cats and blues the best, but a relatively small "yellercat" is fine eating also. These days I eat a lot of fish-farm catfish since I seem never to have time or a good place to go fishing myself anymore. For any of you "lazy" cookers like myself, I can assure you that if you put a little Cajun seasoning or Lawry's seasoned salt on a catfish fillet and then nuke it in the microwave for about 3 or 4 minutes you'll really like it. Quick, clean and doesn't smell up the house. I also like to nuke crappies. I try to eat fried food as little as possible and this fish nuking is a real godsend!

Funny how regional tastes vary. I wouldn't be caught dead eating a carp, but years ago I saw many people actively fishing for them in the Fox river near St. Charles, Illinois -- and they claimed to eat them. But on the other hand I've eaten and enjoyed many gaspergou (fresh water drum) and others turn their nose up at them.

Wish we had some walleye in the waters this far south. I hear they are great sport and fine eating as well.

Any of you southern boys or girls ever try your hand at "noodling" for catfish? Or will anybody admit to eating a bowfin (aka grinnel or cypress trout)?

on the big catfish, 10 to 30 lb It's the red meat that gives the bad taste. when you catch a big catfish if you'll cut the tail off and let it bleed out there will be less of the red meat. or when you fillet them cut them down the the main bone, when you flip the fillet over dont cut right under the skin, cut a fraction above the skin, then cut all the red meat out and throw it away and that thirty pounder will taste like a three pounder

Arnold Ziffle":od9ylhz1 said:
I've eaten and enjoyed many gaspergou (fresh water drum) and others turn their nose up at them.

And I thought I was nuts. You're right, they eat pretty good if the're fried.

In the past I've seen old folks knock the "rocks" out of their heads and save them in a coffee can or bucket. What for, anybody's guess.

Craig-TX

Arnold Ziffle":q6evgbtv said:
For freshwater, cats and crappie are hard to beat. I like channel cats and blues the best, but a relatively small "yellercat" is fine eating also. These days I eat a lot of fish-farm catfish since I seem never to have time or a good place to go fishing myself anymore. For any of you "lazy" cookers like myself, I can assure you that if you put a little Cajun seasoning or Lawry's seasoned salt on a catfish fillet and then nuke it in the microwave for about 3 or 4 minutes you'll really like it. Quick, clean and doesn't smell up the house. I also like to nuke crappies. I try to eat fried food as little as possible and this fish nuking is a real godsend!

Funny how regional tastes vary. I wouldn't be caught dead eating a carp, but years ago I saw many people actively fishing for them in the Fox river near St. Charles, Illinois -- and they claimed to eat them. But on the other hand I've eaten and enjoyed many gaspergou (fresh water drum) and others turn their nose up at them.

Wish we had some walleye in the waters this far south. I hear they are great sport and fine eating as well.

Any of you southern boys or girls ever try your hand at "noodling" for catfish? Or will anybody admit to eating a bowfin (aka grinnel or cypress trout)?

Yup on the noddling and grinnel dang good fightin fish. Just go get the catfish or white perch out of the back pond when I want a mess now.

For pure culinary exellence, nothing beats Rainbow Trout. For fun on the end of your line, Arctic Grayling all the way (and they taste dandy pan fried with butter)!

Take care.