Fishing Rods and Reels

Help Support CattleToday:

KentuckySpud

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a good spinning rod and reel and when I mean good I mean in the $100-150 range. I recently got turned onto a newer brand called "Favorite" but was trying to do some research before pulling the trigger on them.

Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you

Since I was a kid I used Mitchell Garcias, I've now replaced them all with Shimano. I've got a8-10 of them and no complaints. The oldest ones are only 15 years old though so don;t know how they will hold up. For that matter the newest ones are around 10 years old.

dun":2u78fuy4 said:
Since I was a kid I used Mitchell Garcias, I've now replaced them all with Shimano. I've got a8-10 of them and no complaints. The oldest ones are only 15 years old though so don;t know how they will hold up. For that matter the newest ones are around 10 years old.

10-15 years is a dang good lifespan for some rods and reels. Do you have any recommendations on any particular type of Shimano spinning rod/reel combo?

skyhightree1":1duedglu said:
Not a fan of fishing wife is heavy into fishing and I buy her shimano I think aju Garcia and likes ugly stick rods

So your wife is the man and your the housewife?

KentuckySpud":2b73agx3 said:
dun":2b73agx3 said:

10-15 years is a dang good lifespan for some rods and reels. Do you have any recommendations on any particular type of Shimano spinning rod/reel combo?
Too much depends on how you will use it. I have a couple that are called "Bait Runners" that have a free wheeling spool so a fish can run with the bait before setting the hook. All the others are called "Bass One". They probably don;t even make those models anymore but look at the features for each model and decide what features you need for the fishing you will do.
The rod depends on pretty much the same. Type of line, fast/medium/slow tip, the line weight and preferred rod length all go into the decision. I have some carbon fiber rods and some glass rods. Most are Wright & McGill.

I've always liked Fenwick rods. I have them from 4'6" to 6' and a couple in between. To me even their cheaper Eagle line is superior to the majority in the price range. Their HMG line is really nice. I have one GLoomis that I trout fish with and love it.

I've got a hodge podge of reel manufacturers. Money buys quality as those cheaper reels just won't last.

I have a very limber St. Croix that I like and also have a Gary Loomis TFO rod that is stiffer but still has good feel. My dad who fishes a lot uses a GLoomis and uncle who fishes about 5 days a week uses cheaper rods similiar to a Berkley lighting I think. They all catch fish and it is all about feel.
As for the reels I have used Pflueger Presidents and Supreme, Shimano Stradic and Sahara, Abu Garcia and Quantum.

The more expensive reels are usually smoother allowing you to feel the hit but at the same time I have been using the cheaper Quantum reel and don't mind it one bit.

These set ups are all used for crappie or white bass with 1/8th or 1/16th oz lead heads tied to Fireline as we fish in the brush. They can even be used with a 1/32nd oz jig with a cork.

Personally, I think once you get use to a rod and reel they all will work just fine and everyone has different tastes.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ri5qo3t said:
Sniper338":2ri5qo3t said:
skyhightree1":2ri5qo3t said:
Not a fan of fishing wife is heavy into fishing and I buy her shimano I think aju Garcia and likes ugly stick rods

Was that a feeble attempt at humor or are you being an azz?

I believe it was both... IMO

dun":3j5slmg6 said:
dun I still do all my fishing with a Shimano 1000. Had it since the early 80's.

I can't make myself spend a a lot on fishing tackle and I fish quite a bit.
I've had good luck with ugly stik rods and spirex reels.
I have a spirex 4000FG that been my favorite for years.
It's spent lots of time riding in the back of the pickup in the weather and abuse and never a problem

dun":2r82bqm5 said:

Those old Mitchell Garcias were great. I can still hear that clicking and see my Dad catching trout at Montauk when I think about it. He's still got a couple somewhere. I might have one in my shop actually.

M5, he has several of those older Ambassadors too. I know I've "borrowed" a couple of those since he doesn't bass fish anymore.

I just started fishing with spinning reels last year . I bought a couple to free line live shrimp. I only paid 40 bucks for the ones I got but they held up well . Caught over 150 trout with it. I use allstar rods. For bait casters I buy the old green curados and have them rebuilt .

TennesseeTuxedo":t8syq6js said:
Sniper338":t8syq6js said:
skyhightree1":t8syq6js said:

Was that a feeble attempt at humor or are you being an azz?

I thought it was funny...

"If your boyfriend cant skin a deer, you have a girlfriend".

Guess youve never heard those kind of lines.

Latest posts