Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of fish is the best eating. I like fresh ocean Salmon, or fresh fried Catfish.
Tom.

we get river salmon, sockeye, pink, and chinook, we live about 200 miles off the coast, so they have a little less fat when they get to us, I don't mind that. I like trout but haven't had any in YEARS, I have the patience to deal with cows, but not enough to fish

On the west coats there are number of salt water fish generally called rock cod. They are actually several species of rock fish but reseamble red snappers in appearance (sort of). They are the best eating fish I've ever had, friend of mine claims they should be classified as beef instead of fish because they are so darn good to eat. I wouldn;t go that far though.

Kathy and I use to deep sea fish, We always had a good time. My son and I liked to Trout fish in the streams of the Sierra Foothills. I do not fish anymore. There is a local fish store where Kathy buys the Salmon and sometimes Scallops. I get the Catfish from a friend that Jug fishes the large rivers of Alabama. There is a big difference in the farm raised and river Catfish. I tried Walleye in Wisconsin, that was very good. I guess I am getting depressed as it has been wet and nasty outside and I have to stay inside till the weather clears up.
Tom.

MistyMorning":cdhz1xq5 said:
My favorites are walleye and trout.

I thought you would have chosen pickled lutefisk or smelt kabobs. Someone told me that they don't debone/fillet the fish up your way. Is that right?

Nothing like stuffed flounder or grilled salmon :nod:

kerley":210w4t0k said:
Kathy and I use to deep sea fish, We always had a good time. My son and I liked to Trout fish in the streams of the Sierra Foothills. I do not fish anymore. There is a local fish store where Kathy buys the Salmon and sometimes Scallops. I get the Catfish from a friend that Jug fishes the large rivers of Alabama. There is a big difference in the farm raised and river Catfish. I tried Walleye in Wisconsin, that was very good. I guess I am getting depressed as it has been wet and nasty outside and I have to stay inside till the weather clears up.
Tom.

I love the white perch and Speckled trout.
I can relate to the cabin fever here it has rained dang near every day since the begining of Dec. I haved oiled, greased equipment and cleaned in the shop until I hate going in there.
Yesterday was opening for Black Powder and I was sitting in a tree like a buzzard in the rain.
I need mental help, won't hunt today church at 10 then football and church at 5.
Tomorrow morning back to the perch like a buzzard, only a week on the B/P season.

Caustic Burno":l579azhh said:

My top picks too but both can sometimes be fickle when fishing and I am not one to go home empty handed. As backup, I'll settle for catfish (any of them will do including the hard heads) and Sailor's Choice. (Salt water perch;-) )

Jogeephus":3p2linbb said:
Caustic Burno":3p2linbb said:

My top picks too but both can sometimes be fickle when fishing and I am not one to go home empty handed. As backup, I'll settle for catfish (any of them will do including the hard heads) and Sailor's Choice. (Salt water perch;-) )

The sailors chouce sounds like you're talking about "scupper trout"/"wrinkle necks".

bluegills, perch, cropies, panfish in general, walleyes are one of the best, northerns are good if you take the y bones out. all out of nice clean fres hwater. They taste muddy out of muddy water

BeefmasterB":3aeb3nfw said:
I thought you would have chosen pickled lutefisk or smelt kabobs. Someone told me that they don't debone/fillet the fish up your way. Is that right?

Well "someone" told ya wrong A/B. :roll: Personally can't stand bones in my fish.

Nothing like stuffed flounder or grilled salmon :nod:

Ok, those are good too. :nod:

CKC1586":3aeb3nfw said:
and blue gills, yummy. :nod:

Like the flavor of blue gills, can't stand the bones though.

Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, hows about that story of why you had to eat crappies for a whole year dun? Some reason good enough for me to change my sig line? :D

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1kdtkh2p said:
I like a good largemouth bass out of clean water, beer battered and fried. :nod:

I will second the black bass...only if filleted with a knife, usually an electric knife. Man...that is some good eating. Don't forget the tripod.

Bass is good when taken out of clean water and under 2 pounds. Walleye is very good again, the smaller 1-2 pounds are best, croppee too. But the very best is our northern bluegill the bigger the better. :D

Latest posts