Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning":3hu9nah3 said:
BeefmasterB":3hu9nah3 said:
I thought you would have chosen pickled lutefisk or smelt kabobs. Someone told me that they don't debone/fillet the fish up your way. Is that right?
Well "someone" told ya wrong A/B. :roll: Personally can't stand bones in my fish.
Well Princess MM ~ there are a few of us who do not fillet. Leave the bones in and the skin on (not the scales, the skin). Makes supper time a challenge! Ever get a bone stuck between your teeth and your gums till it works it way through your head and out your ear (yup, it happened to my neighbors, cousins, best friends SiL co worker :eek: ), and you will think twice about "whoever eats fastest gets the most" you display on our get-togethers at the seafood buffet! :nod:

"Pickled lutefisk"? :lol2: :???: What a southerner you are! :roll: Nah, pickled northern!! Hey!! I could sell that stuff down there and get RICH! :clap:

dun":145zdw47 said:
Don;t you have yellow perch in MN?
I don't know. I conducted a survey (asked my mom), she does not know either.

To answer the original question ~ croppie, sunfish and walleye. Tried a fish called Mahi Mahi recently (I am thinking that that is the fish, not the name of the dish), and it was fantastic! I would not have guessed.

angie":2qzqcf81 said:
dun":2qzqcf81 said:
I don't know. I conducted a survey (asked my mom), she does not know either.

To answer the original question ~ croppie, sunfish and walleye. Tried a fish called Mahi Mahi recently (I am thinking that that is the fish, not the name of the dish), and it was fantastic! I would not have guessed.

Mahi Mahi is a the dolphin fish, not the dolphin like flipper

angie":3k1o37lq said:
Well Princess MM ~

THANK YOU! FINALLY! :D

and you will think twice about "whoever eats fastest gets the most" you display on our get-togethers at the seafood buffet! :nod:

SHUT UP!

dun":3k1o37lq said:

Yes we do, and if you do any "jumbo" perch fishing on Winnie, you know you can FILLLET them too. :D

MistyMorning":evyc6igv said:
dun":evyc6igv said:

Yes we do, and if you do any "jumbo" perch fishing on Winnie, you know you can FILLLET them too. :D
My family in WI use nothing else for the get together fish frys

dun":29n0ergf said:

Oh, it's definitely yellow, Dun. But only because it's been laying out on the shed roof for a few days. They kinda like them that way. And those bones? MM and Angie market them as MN Dental Floss. They also sell them as sewing needles.

Now, as to Crappie (Angie wants to pronounce it as "croppie"), it has to be one of the top 3 eatingest freshwater fish in the South. Deep fried with fries, slaw and a cold beer almost always does the trick.

Only problem is, catching them. Ever go over a bridge in the South and see that one boat with a fisherman that looks like he's dead? Well, that's a Crappie fisherman when their not biting. And when they are biting, he doesn't move much then either. But those fish taste real good! Makes me think of what ice fishing might be like.

MistyMorning":3lm4akva said:
My favorites are walleye and trout.

I'm with you on thatMM,but I gonna have to throw in some fresh channel cat rolled in yeller cornmeal and deep fried.

Cal

BeefmasterB said:
Now, as to Crappie (Angie wants to pronounce it as "croppie"), it has to be one of the top 3 eatingest freshwater fish in the South. Deep fried with fries, slaw and a cold beer almost always does the trick.
Deep fried? Is there nothing you people will not deep fry or pour gravy over? :help: Dip them in flour and fry them in butter. Can't tell a Mn how to cook a fish! (Can't tell them much of anything, but especially the fish thing.. :nod: ).
Crappie/Croppie ~ Potayto/Potahto. :roll:

Only problem is, catching them. Ever go over a bridge in the South and see that one boat with a fisherman that looks like he's dead? Well, that's a Crappie fisherman when their not biting. And when they are biting, he doesn't move much then either. But those fish taste real good! Makes me think of what ice fishing might be like.
Ice fishing is truly a sport BmB!! :nod: It is a skill and a test of endurance. Keeping the wax worms in your arm pit so they stay alive, stay standing out on the ice in -20 for 8 hours staring down into a hole wondering what it means that you can no longer feel your extremities, but grateful you have finally quit shivering and you weren't the idiot who put their truck through the ice (everybody is an idiot till it happens to them) ~ now that is a chest thumping, high 5'ing, wave inspiring good time. :???: There have been times I was hesitant to take off my gloves for fear that my fingers would stay inside.

angie":2akis8qf said:
Ice fishing is truly a sport BmB!! It is a skill and a test of endurance. Keeping the wax worms in your arm pit so they stay alive, stay standing out on the ice in -20 for 8 hours staring down into a hole wondering what it means that you can no longer feel your extremities, but grateful you have finally quit shivering and you weren't the idiot who put their truck through the ice (everybody is an idiot till it happens to them) ~ now that is a chest thumping, high 5'ing, wave inspiring good time. :???: There have been times I was hesitant to take off my gloves for fear that my fingers would stay inside.

Well of course it's a rollicking good time! :nod: You forgot to add though that one needs to bring a couple of hounds with to get tangled in the line, eat all the minnows out of the bucket and run around with it stuck on their head, oh yeah they need to be sneaky and steal fish from other parties and than pi$$ all over their ice house. :D

It's always good to call that guy that was your BFF last year at the same time to come too. He's the one with the power auger AND the extension for it. :nod:

Someone else can tell about spearing. :D

Did you see where PETA has started a campaign to rename fish "sea kittens"? The PETA folks think people will lose their appetite for fish if they're called sea kittens.

MistyMorning":14r0zh8w said:
angie":14r0zh8w said:
Ice fishing is truly a sport BmB!! It is a skill and a test of endurance. Keeping the wax worms in your arm pit so they stay alive, stay standing out on the ice in -20 for 8 hours staring down into a hole wondering what it means that you can no longer feel your extremities, but grateful you have finally quit shivering and you weren't the idiot who put their truck through the ice (everybody is an idiot till it happens to them) ~ now that is a chest thumping, high 5'ing, wave inspiring good time. :???: There have been times I was hesitant to take off my gloves for fear that my fingers would stay inside.

Well of course it's a rollicking good time! :nod: You forgot to add though that one needs to bring a couple of hounds with to get tangled in the line, eat all the minnows out of the bucket and run around with it stuck on their head, oh yeah they need to be sneaky and steal fish from other parties and than pi$$ all over their ice house. :D

It's always good to call that guy that was your BFF last year at the same time to come too. He's the one with the power auger AND the extension for it. :nod:

Someone else can tell about spearing. :D

ok, this is what portable ice shacks are for. Amazing inventions portable iceshacks. thats also y i have a power auger drilling 20 holes through 14 inch ice to much work on a day off and a day of fishing is meant to be lazy. We also have heaters so that we can sit in t shirts and jeans in them and dont stand out on the ice when its that cold. The friend you call up to take along is the one that has the underwater camera adn vexlar. Course we have Okiboji and Spirit lake here in northwest iowa which are crystal clear lakes in the winter for some reason. So the vexlar really isnt nessisary. Its like fishing in an aquarium. You can see the botom in 16 feet of water which is really something.

And for the record there is only one way to clean fish and that is to fillet them. Take the knife adn cut right behind the fin on the side. Cut to the backbone and then cut along it to the tail. Then flip it open and fillet the meat from the skin. Then cut along the rib cage adn then all the bones are gone. You should check for bones just in case you missed some.

Tehn there are only a few ways to cook them. The best one is to crush up saltine crackers and add butter adn bread the fillets in it and fry them. Delishouse. Flour works also. Deep fat frying is last but it gets the job done.

Yes, Minnesota has yellow perch. They are some of the best eating fish out there. There is nothing comparible to catching jumbo perch also. When you get over top of a school or find a hole full of them and they are biting its like a kid in a candy shop. You jsut drop dow na jig with a minnow and pull them up one afater another. The bigggest perch i have ever caught is a 13 inch long perch. That is a big perch. I have seen a few 15 adn 16 inch perch caught and those are jsut sows. We dont keep any under 9 inches tho cause its not worth cleaning them when there are bigger ones out there.

angie":wm8ioc2x said:
Ice fishing is truly a sport BmB!! :nod: It is a skill and a test of endurance. Keeping the wax worms in your arm pit so they stay alive, stay standing out on the ice in -20 for 8 hours staring down into a hole wondering what it means that you can no longer feel your extremities, but grateful you have finally quit shivering and you weren't the idiot who put their truck through the ice (everybody is an idiot till it happens to them) ~ now that is a chest thumping, high 5'ing, wave inspiring good time. :???: There have been times I was hesitant to take off my gloves for fear that my fingers would stay inside.

Well, down here we might call it something else but I think I understand now ;-)

angie":wm8ioc2x said:
12 oz can of diet coke, 600 mgs of ibuprofin, and a couple of cigarettes.

ps Are wax worms cheaper than deoderant?

We ate salmon about 6 days a week when I was growing up so I will pass on that unless it is a fresh up river spring King. Halibut and the other assorted bottom fish are better than salmon. Ling cod is my favorite but I also like sturgeon.
Steelhead...... any fish that you have to stand out waist deep in dang near freezing water while it is 36 degrees out and pouring down rain..... to catch a fish maybe every other day at best........ well that fish has got to be good eating. But I am not tough enough or crazy enough so I don't eat steelhead too often.

Dave":3lvqdpp8 said:
We ate salmon about 6 days a week when I was growing up so I will pass on that unless it is a fresh up river spring King. Halibut and the other assorted bottom fish are better than salmon.

I feel exactly the same way about both salmon and trout. Smoked is the only way it's worth eating.

I was 40 years old before I knew Tuna and Salmon came any way other than in a can. :lol: And yes Angie...you fry those little "croppie, aka crappie". Deep, shallow, butter, cooking oil, it doesn't matter. And while you're worrying about your wax worms freezing, we're worrying about our beer getting hot. :lol2: You fish in -20 for 8 hours. We fish in 105 for 8 hours. (that's lots of beer and ice). Actually I've pretty much given up fishing. Got too darned expensive you know with the price of beer and bait, hardly leaves any money for fuel.

Latest posts