fish farm

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
looking into possibly a tilapia farm. looks pretty promising.

anyone know about profitability? problems ?

ddd75":2sd9ez90 said:

Looking forward to hearing more about it because I looked into it but seemed really time consuming and complex

skyhightree1":hk5sokp9 said:
ddd75":hk5sokp9 said:

Looking forward to hearing more about it because I looked into it but seemed really time consuming and complex

it does seem a little time consuming. but I'm thinking with automatic feeders, timed pumps, etc.. i could make it pretty self - sufficient .

ddd75":ggldjehq said:
skyhightree1":ggldjehq said:
ddd75":ggldjehq said:

it does seem a little time consuming. but I'm thinking with automatic feeders, timed pumps, etc.. i could make it pretty self - sufficient .

I wanted to raise fish too cause I have a major direct market I could be in but the amount of time for them to grow and such kinda turned me off too.

You will be competing against imports. In India, seafood processors are subsidized 8% of their gross sales. So they sell everything at cost and still make a profit. I know a company that has fish farms in the Palacios Texas area. They raise Redfish because those are not imported as strong as catfish and tilapia.

local place here raises trout.

i was reading an article on this guy raising the tilapia. He quit a pretty good job to do it full time.

ddd75":2mjztkck said:

Don't they die off when water temp. drops to a certain point???

TexasBred":3lkk2w1j said:
ddd75":3lkk2w1j said:

Don't they die off when water temp. drops to a certain point???

Yes
If trout are raised in your area I doubt your season is long enough to grow talipia to size outdoors
Also they are so cheap unless you can create a farm to table kinda mark-up it would be hard to make anything without being on a very large scale.
The trout may be a better option for you.
You better check your state regs. I didn't say report to them. But educate yourself... ;-)

We raise blue catfish. Well we buy the fingerlings and grow them to a couple pounds. Then move them to grow to the 10 pound plus range. We sell them on a very small scale to high fenced hunting outfits to stock in their ponds.
I don't make anything really. I enjoy messing with them. And I've got some giants in my ponds to support my habit when I can't get on the river. :cboy:

My wife works for a university that has a fish farm operation attached to it. Electric costs are high, failure can be around every corner and your married to it to make sure there are no failures.

Had a good friend do it several years ago. After 1st year's sale contract was up the bottom fell out of farm raised
fish market. If I remember correctly imports from China did in the market, anyway he was done in 2 years.

Emu's might be the next step.

ahh.. figured i'd ask on here. Looks pretty labor intensive like you guys are saying..

crushing my dreams :(

Latest posts