fish farm

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":27clin9f said:
Emu's might be the next step.

ahh.. figured i'd ask on here. Looks pretty labor intensive like you guys are saying..

crushing my dreams :(

I wanted to do it as i sell animals directly and provide a place for them to process their animals. Folks have asked me about fish and such and its a possibility I may try it on a small scale and i mean small like in water totes or something and see what happens. I think I would have to raise them in a climate controlled building. My customers like seeing what their meat looked like and picking out their own animals and I think I could make a few pennies off of it if not bring more customers in for the other animals.It would be a great addition to my sales.

skyhightree1":2qxbw7ti said:
ddd75":2qxbw7ti said:

ahh.. figured i'd ask on here. Looks pretty labor intensive like you guys are saying..

I wanted to do it as i sell animals directly and provide a place for them to process their animals. Folks have asked me about fish and such and its a possibility I may try it on a small scale and i mean small like in water totes or something and see what happens. I think I would have to raise them in a climate controlled building. My customers like seeing what their meat looked like and picking out their own animals and I think I could make a few pennies off of it if not bring more customers in for the other animals.It would be a great addition to my sales.
Just remember my story about Collins in Lakeside

greybeard":1sc6hjgy said:
Here's yur sign...

Mine needs an otter toting it off.
I had four catfish ponds on this place.
Finally I gave up couldn't beat the otters they work 24/7/365.
With two creeks running through this place those catfish ponds were like Mc Donald
drive through for otters.

dun":1j76ptfq said:
skyhightree1":1j76ptfq said:
ddd75":1j76ptfq said:

Just remember my story about Collins in Lakeside
:D

greybeard":1j76ptfq said:
Here's yur sign...

:)

Caustic Burno":lpzh19kg said:
greybeard":lpzh19kg said:
Here's yur sign...

With two creeks running through this place those catfish ponds were like Mc Donald
Otters legal to trap down your way?

ddd75":2kxzc0ig said:

Don't give up that easily. Remember, whenever someone new comes on this board and asks about raising cattle, everyone tries to talk them out of it. And yet we all have cattle. Sounds like some people are just trying to prevent another big player from getting in on their very lucrative endeavor. I say double down and go for broke!

frieghttrain":31e7h2ym said:
Caustic Burno":31e7h2ym said:
greybeard":31e7h2ym said:
Here's yur sign...

Otters legal to trap down your way?

Yes I know of no one that traps anymore. I don't know if the pelts are so low or the regulations so high to make it worth it.

Don't have any personal experience with this, but do remember some folks had some shrimp ponds and maybe some Tilapia.
At one point there seemed to be an effort to promote aquaculture around here.

AC that is a pretty big setup of ponds and retaining walls.
If I remember right it was a two year process from tadpole to frog.
Heard his biggest problem was coons and herons.
He had metal walls around the ponds with netting over them. Looked kinda like that you see over a batting cage.

Latest posts