First year of oats

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
First year planting oats. Didnt till at all. Just spead them out with my ATV spreader. With all the rain we got this last week I have acre's of green sprout's everywhere. Couldnt be happier.

Same here, as a mix of ryegrass/oats/wheat but oats can be fickle as heck--too much rain and they'll be yellow, limp, and bowed over--too little and they just die.
Wish I had more, but the wife had to do it all and I didn't have the heart to ask her to run that tractor a 2nd day.

Ain't it great. Amazing what a little rain will do. :nod:

Ryegrass, no tilled into kr bluestem

Oats and clover tilled and drilled.

Mornings have been cool and wet. Perfect for ryegrass and some interesting views.

greybeard":39szdu23 said:
fenceman":39szdu23 said:
Ain't it great. Amazing what a little rain will do. :nod:

Oats and clover tilled and drilled.

Are those rocks--or just dirt clods?
Rocks. That's how I rotate my pastures. When you can't see rocks it's ready to graze, when you can see it's time to move em. :cboy:

My kinda cow looking at the camera there. My oats froze out last year. I'm sure you'll have better luck down your way.

i'd be buying/renting a rock machine to pick them all up.. i wouldn't be able to stand that.

ddd75":11njediw said:
i'd be buying/renting a rock machine to pick them all up.. i wouldn't be able to stand that.
:lol2: you could pick em every day for ten years and next year they'll be back. My great grandfather grew cotton on that ground. There's piles of rocks all over my place from picking up rocks. They just come back. Ain't all bad it's limestone. I've never bought a tablespoon of lime. :cboy:
Besides that's not even considered rocky. This is in one of my rocky pastures

Fenceman, the definition of the word pasture varies greatly I guess. Rocks and cactus is stretching it. IMO

ram":2307e254 said:
Fenceman, the definition of the word pasture varies greatly I guess. Rocks and cactus is stretching it. IMO
Whatever ram. That rocky PASTURE won't carry many cows. That's for sure. It's got several underground caverns, one goes about 300 yards underground.about a dozen Indian mounds and numerous artifacts. It's fenced and grazes cattle so in Texas it's a pasture..It's mine and I'm proud of it. Any body that don't like it can go climb a pine tree. :tiphat:

Let's not bring the hated pine trees into this topic FM--I've killed as many as I can and once well, plan on killin lots more, but we don't want any big enough to climb.
Been lots of southwestern cattle raised on mesquite leaves and burned nopales--never seen a one eat pine needles. I watched my uncles burn pears out in Nolan County when I was a kid, so their cows could eat.

LAPerezArt1.jpg

http://www.texasfarmbureau.org/newsmana ... zoneid=123

greybeard":35kh77y2 said:
Let's not bring the hated pine trees into this topic FM--I've killed as many as I can and once well, plan on killin lots more, but we don't want any big enough to climb.
Been lots of southwestern cattle raised on mesquite leaves and burned nopales--never seen a one eat pine needles. I watched my uncles burn pears out in Nolan County when I was a kid, so their cows could eat.

LAPerezArt1.jpg

http://www.texasfarmbureau.org/newsmana ... zoneid=123

I started to correct the foreigner that called my pears cactus. :cowboy: I've burned many a pear. They make great feed and have saved many a herd through drought. The howl when you light the pear burner will bring my cattle running like shaking a bucket of cubes.

Latest posts