First Try-Out of Bud Box and Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

nathan arizona

Reaction score
Gave my new bud box and squeeze chute a shot today. First time I've ever used one. Semi-success. My kids were with me - back from college, and I think they spooked the cows a little bit, so we only got 6 of 12 rounded up. Goal was to run them through and ear tag them. I have to these improvements to make.
1 - I have to beef up my chute. I used corral panels and the cows bent them which enabled them to turn around. Something more solid has to go there.
2 - I've got to get better at judging how to set the head gate. 3 of the six were able to back out of the gate. I tagged them without them being in the head gate which leads to:
3 - I've got to grow a brain. 2 of the three, I got going so fast, I put the tag on backwards. That will impress the neighbors.
4 - I've got to slow down. On the next to last one a bull calf, I let one of the "hoops" down so I could get to him safely and forgot to put it back up. Next cow jumped right through it. I would have never believed she could do it. So she didn't get tagged.

Final stats - 6 in bud box, 5 tagged. 7 to go. I'm going to let it dry out around here, wait a couple of weeks and give it another shot.

Good that you got the trial run out of the way.

One hint on the panels leading to the chute. We made some brackets to keep the panels from spreading apart. Flat bar wielded on the top and bottom, square tubing on the sides. They are about 30 inches wide and we run the panels through them. It supports the panels and keeps them tight.

How wide did you make the box, I made mine 10 ft , I think 12 ft might work better . I have used mine one time to separate cows from calves to sell calves, like you said it will take several trial runs to get the system down.

Tim/South":1bds3gqv said:
Good that you got the trial run out of the way.

One hint on the panels leading to the chute. We made some brackets to keep the panels from spreading apart. Flat bar wielded on the top and bottom, square tubing on the sides. They are about 30 inches wide and we run the panels through them. It supports the panels and keeps them tight.
For alleyways, some manufacturers sell the same kind of thing. An alley frame. These are Preifert, I'm sure other folks sell a different one. They ain't exactly cheap, but they do work--or do with my cows anyway. about $125 ea.
AFGY.jpg

Premier_Alley_Frame_AF_01.jpg

A WW alley control frame:
alleycontrol.jpg

One thing I do is always feed them in the lot and close the main gate. From there they have only one way out and that's thru the working area and out thru the squeeze. Seems to keep them settled down when it comes time to work them. Good luck with your set up.

slick4591":3ns2r0pw said:
One thing I do is always feed them in the lot and close the main gate. From there they have only one way out and that's thru the working area and out thru the squeeze. Seems to keep them settled down when it comes time to work them. Good luck with your set up.

+1 works like a charm!

I get my cattle in with feed to. My first question to those who help me is,"what could be changed to make it work smoother?" We have a fairly decent system now but I am always game for better ideas to make it easier on man and beast.