First timer question

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi":3tu6o1mn said:
Margonme":3tu6o1mn said:
On my farm, me doing the heat detection - at a minimum 80%. There are factors beyond my control but I expect every cow to stick. Last year I was 100% on first service. Recognize that my population size is relatively small. This breeding season I had a couple that got second service but I ended with 80 % conception.

I run a small herd of registered cows. I am 100 % AI. No bull.
To my horror I've just calculated my running conception rate at 72%. It'll climb back up to 78 if the last two hold to their first. Timing has been tricky at some times in the heat - they don't always show a lot of oestrus behaviour. Looks like I might have to shorten my target window. I got the 10-18 from a document/research someone else had posted in here a few years ago.

I had a few this breeding season that had odd oestrus behavior. If it gets too confusing, I breed them early and late.

dun made a good comment. There are some that display oestrus behavior over an extended period. For example, I had one that was jumping and sniffing throughout the day. Her vulva was full and she was discharging clear mucus like egg albumin. So I bred her that evening. That night she apparently stood because the next morning her chalk was gone and her tail head was matted down. Therefore, I put another straw in her about 10 am. I don't know which straw got her but she stuck.

Do those two inseminations count as one go in your 80%+? I'm far meaner than that with my expensive straws. I can see the sense, in that the cost of the straw might be less than the three weeks you then don't have to wait, either for another heat or the calf in nine months.

Putangitangi":1e8pcds2 said:
Do those two inseminations count as one go in your 80%+? I'm far meaner than that with my expensive straws. I can see the sense, in that the cost of the straw might be less than the three weeks you then don't have to wait, either for another heat or the calf in nine months.

When I use two straws, I only count it as one breeding.

Margonme":17ckghlt said:
Putangitangi":17ckghlt said:

I reckon you're cheating!!! :lol:

Putangitangi":zfjkkvjb said:
Margonme":zfjkkvjb said:
On my farm, me doing the heat detection - at a minimum 80%. There are factors beyond my control but I expect every cow to stick. Last year I was 100% on first service. Recognize that my population size is relatively small. This breeding season I had a couple that got second service but I ended with 80 % conception.

To my horror I've just calculated my running conception rate at 72%. It'll climb back up to 78 if the last two hold to their first. Timing has been tricky at some times in the heat - they don't always show a lot of oestrus behaviour. Looks like I might have to shorten my target window. I got the 10-18 from a document/research someone else had posted in here a few years ago.

Jan/Feb I do tend to see some oddities in my cows cycling I think it's a difficult time of year to be trying to get them in calf, whether it's the heat or the pasture quality I don't know.
I have a 12 yr old I decided not to breed this year and she's cycled like clockwork from September until about 5 weeks ago. Not a single sign of that cycle, and it's highly unlikely that she's managed to get bred.
I did an experiment last year with my repeat cyclers where I did them when I saw them standing, then again twelve hours later - usually I do them at the first milking after I see them standing, which is anywhere 0 - 14 hours, as long as they're fully active if I see them at milking I'll do them that milking. Anyway, the experiment resulted in 100% of those repeat cyclers holding to the double insemination, but I don't know if it really means anything.

Margonme":1isn9ulq said:
Putangitangi":1isn9ulq said:
Margonme":1isn9ulq said:

I had a few this breeding season that had odd oestrus behavior. If it gets too confusing, I breed them early and late.

dun made a good comment. There are some that display oestrus behavior over an extended period. For example, I had one that was jumping and sniffing throughout the day. Her vulva was full and she was discharging clear mucus like egg albumin. So I bred her that evening. That night she apparently stood because the next morning her chalk was gone and her tail head was matted down. Therefore, I put another straw in her about 10 am. I don't know which straw got her but she stuck.

Ron there are some things that we just don't understand but the bull does. I put mine out with the bull after I have inseminated them then put a patch on them to catch any rebreeds 3 weeks later and then out with the bull which is usually a yearling. I will often see one that is due in a couple of days and while the bull won't be with her, he will be adjacent to her like he is tracking her. I check them often and any due I look at where they are in relation to the bull. I always say where there is smoke there is fire and sure enough within a day or two he is shagging her. This sounds similar to those of yours that show signs over extended period, probably just normal behaviour but some it is more obvious than others.

Ken

Putangitangi":3gyaop2b said:
Margonme":3gyaop2b said:
Putangitangi":3gyaop2b said:

I reckon you're cheating!!! :lol:

:D

For an extra $25, it is worth it to keep my calving window narrow.

wbvs58":1j6pnsxj said:
Margonme":1j6pnsxj said:
Putangitangi":1j6pnsxj said:

Ron there are some things that we just don't understand but the bull does. I put mine out with the bull after I have inseminated them then put a patch on them to catch any rebreeds 3 weeks later and then out with the bull which is usually a yearling. I will often see one that is due in a couple of days and while the bull won't be with her, he will be adjacent to her like he is tracking her. I check them often and any due I look at where they are in relation to the bull. I always say where there is smoke there is fire and sure enough within a day or two he is shagging her. This sounds similar to those of yours that show signs over extended period, probably just normal behaviour but some it is more obvious than others.

Ken

Yes, Ken. It can get confusing. I take all the information they give me and ultimately decide when to put a straw in them. Usually, they stick.

I use GnRH I mostly sync so I think its money well spent. Use it most time on natural heat, only time I dont is if there more than 12hrs past standing. If I only get 1 more conception with it, worth it.

I'm with using that extra straw on them tweeners( only counts 1). Its about getting cows bred not crowing about what percentage you get, if anyone is that good just breed 2 cows with one straw, can really be mean with those expensive straws!!!!!

If I breed twice with a gap of time in beyween, I use a different bull for the second breeding. Most are bred Red Angus the first time then either Hereford or black angus the second. I also use GnRH for the second breeding and frequently use it for the first. Works out about 50:50 if they take from the first straw or the second.