First Time!!

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Well I finally got to work some cattle (cows) today for the first time. A long time family friend's dad has been raising Black Angus for 25 years. I honestly didn't do much but watch and just help herd into the chute. I might not be saying this right but they were giving them a shot of some kind of hormone and putting something in them (vaginally) to trick into heat? Again, I'm not sure. Also, they were changing ear tags on some and we tagged a young calf that they had missed the other day. I never knew a calf could bawl so loud when you tag his ear. My first impression working with cattle was they are big and strong. They seem to do whatever the lead cow is doing. The people I was working with were never rough on them or mean to them, they were actually patient with them I thought. When they wanted them to move on in the chute to the catch chute they just tapped them a little or gave their tail a little twist. They also AI one of the cows, how in the world do you ever know what your feeling for. The man said it went good, took about 5 minutes. I enjoyed the whole morning, seriously.

tncattle":lrgiqn3p said:
I honestly didn't do much but watch and just help herd into the chute.

Getting the cows into the pen, then chute, is usually the hardest part. Unless you are dehorning or doing some type of serious surgical procedure.

A shot and a CIDR stuck in the vagina is one of the heat synch protocols.

dun

dun":30fkc9lx said:
A shot and a CIDR stuck in the vagina is one of the heat synch protocols.

dun

That is what they were doing and they AI one cow. Wow, everyone should have to see that done.

tncattle":8xjf2qd6 said:
. I enjoyed the whole morning, seriously.

That's great! Glad you had the opportunity to do this. Very nice that this guy was/is willing to let you get your feet wet (sort of) at his place. It sounds like they were also patient and kind with you as well.

Starting slow is the way to go.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3bolcwp9 said:
tncattle":3bolcwp9 said:
. I enjoyed the whole morning, seriously.

That's great! Glad you had the opportunity to do this. Very nice that this guy was/is willing to let you get your feet wet (sort of) at his place. It sounds like they were also patient and kind with you as well.

Starting slow is the way to go.

Katherine

Yes they were patient with me as they know I'm totally new and learning. Forgot to mention it is a Black Angus operation of about 200 head. I just offered free labor in return for them mentoring me and teaching me the ropes. The farm is split into 5 different farms not all connected by land and I think it totals about 350-400 acres.

wow im really happy for you. i wish that i could have that kinda experience. i know you may have felt like you didnt do very much but trust me every extra body working with cattle is always needed.

tncattle":3u0skr4a said:

Don't underestimate what you did - everything else depends on the person(s) in the back being able to get the cattle in the tub, and then in the chute. ;-) I'm glad you had a good time!

tncattle":1iub9kg9 said:
Well I finally got to work some cattle (cows) today for the first time. A long time family friend's dad has been raising Black Angus for 25 years
Way to go!!!!!!! working cows are awsome
I compleatly know the feeling!!!!!!! i love working with cows..my first time away from my farm and the neighbors i was very nervous, but they were very patient.

belive me i felt the same way untill i watch someone else do it them felt comfortably doing it....

! NO YOU HELPED BY BEING THERE ON HAND!!We all start somewere, and herding cattle is a great way to start!! beside by watching you learned alot, and next time you will be able to do it without being instructed!

I might not be saying this right but they were giving them a shot of some kind of hormone and putting something in them (vaginally) to trick into heat? Again, I'm not sure.
It tricks them to came in hear at the same time, you get a higher percent of cows bred..

Also, they were changing ear tags on some and we tagged a young calf that they had missed the other day. I never knew a calf could bawl so loud when you tag his ear
:lol: :D :lol:

My first impression working with cattle was they are big and strong. They seem to do whatever the lead cow is doing. The people I was working with were never rough on them or mean to them, they were actually patient with them I thought. When they wanted them to move on in the chute to the catch chute they just tapped them a little or gave their tail a little twist.
Thoes are the best type of cowboys.. i don't like using hot shots on cows.. makes them scared of you, sure the do what t you want them to do that time but what about the next time..

They also AI one of the cows, how in the world do you ever know what your feeling for. The man said it went good, took about 5 minutes. I enjoyed the whole morning, seriously.

watching someone A.I a cow is really cool!!!!i want to do it some day...