First Time Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

redandblack

Reaction score
I have a question regarding weaning, I live in Central oklahoma, I have 14 angus calves that were born from late Oct to Late Dec. I plan on weaning the majority in the next two weeks. All calves were given covexin 8 and bulls worked at 2-4 months of age. I plan on sending all calves to the OKC sale barn. Should I just load them up and ship them? Worm, vaccinate and hold for 45-60 days. I have plenty of green grass coming on and have a couple different pastures to separate them from mommas. Not looking for easiest way, but best way. Do buyers truly believe when auctioneer tells them they have been vaccinated? Or do they just give them shots not matter what i.e. cheap insurance. Thanks in advance for all replies.

For us it makes sense to fenceline wean, worm, vaccinate and give boosters, bunk and tank break and hold for 45 days minimum.

We background ours 60 days or so, and sell off the farm. We sell to the same feedyard every year, so they trust that we do what we say, although it hasn't always been that way. If I was an auction buyer, I wouldn't trust that they were properly vaccinated even if that was the story. If you wean them on the trailer on the way to OKC, it'll cost you a little.....in my opinion. Make sure to build your weaning pen right outside your bedroom window, just like I did. That a way, you'll be able to stay up all night and keep an eye on things. lol

I assume you mean the National Stockyards in OKC? If so wean them on pasture for at least 30 days. Longer if you have plenty of grass. Put out some sweet feed to get them started eating grain. Switch to a pelleted feed in two weeks. They will charge you for feed at OKC weather the calves eat it or not and they will gain back some of the shrink while they wait to sell. When you take them to OKC, let the commission company man know how long they have been weaned and what shot program they are on.
They may or may not believe you but if you do it a few times with the same guy, he will remember that you calves are well taken care of and let the buyers know.
If I was you I would worm them and given a second round of shots. Build your reputation as a rancher providing good animals ready to go to grass or feedlot. OKC is one of the few places that will pay you for it.

Thanks for the replies, I grew up raising registered simmetals, but grandpa and dad sold out in my early teens. Just started my own herd last year. Hopefully at some point will be able to go direct to feedyard, just haven't developed those relationships. Yes sir I'm talking about National in Okc, thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

It is in my opinion that if you have the grass and are able to wean them than by all means that is what works for me. As some of the others have said just make sure you tell the salebarn what you have given(shots etc). Also, and it is just a thought, generally speaking prices are a little off during the early summer months and tend to be a little better from the end of July thru early Sept. (historically speaking). Again, if it was me and I had the grass I would continue to run them until the later summer and then sale.

redandblack":oga5ty0p said:
Thanks for the replies, I grew up raising registered simmetals, but grandpa and dad sold out in my early teens. Just started my own herd last year. Hopefully at some point will be able to go direct to feedyard, just haven't developed those relationships. Yes sir I'm talking about National in Okc, thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.
Call Ben Hale with Western livestock commission. Weaning may be breakeven at best with prices where they are today on 4-5 wt calves.

bird dog":205sprl3 said:
I assume you mean the National Stockyards in OKC? If so wean them on pasture for at least 30 days. Longer if you have plenty of grass. Put out some sweet feed to get them started eating grain. Switch to a pelleted feed in two weeks. They will charge you for feed at OKC weather the calves eat it or not and they will gain back some of the shrink while they wait to sell. When you take them to OKC, let the commission company man know how long they have been weaned and what shot program they are on.
They may or may not believe you but if you do it a few times with the same guy, he will remember that you calves are well taken care of and let the buyers know.
If I was you I would worm them and given a second round of shots. Build your reputation as a rancher providing good animals ready to go to grass or feedlot. OKC is one of the few places that will pay you for it.
I send a detailed spreadsheet to our sale barn at least a week prior to the sale and they will market our calves as fully vaccinated and weaned. Our weaning minimum is 30 days but the last couple years we've kept our spring calves through the winter because the market has been bad & we turned them out on the brome field.
Flip a coin and talk to "seasoned" ranchers for their opinion but we were told right from the start to wean according to the Farmer's Almanac "best days". I have absolutely no clue if it works but we've only had to doctor one calf, no fence jumpers, bawling is essentially over in a couple days. Can't hurt :)

It may be worth it if you want to keep them thru the summer and add a couple hundred lbs to them. It would not be worth it if you want to only wean them for a month to get the couple cents more per pound to call them weaned. Unless they're already accustomed to feed they may lose weight for the first week or 2, and then by the time you sell them it would be a break even deal.

Latest posts