First time to show...Heifer shopping.

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
Joined FFA this week. I need to find a Brahman heifer that I can show this year. I called on some today. Heifers 1-2 mo. until weaning are $2000-$2500 with some up to $3000. The man did have a 12mo. old heifer he said was born at the wrong time he will sell for $1750. She has been on full feed but has not been worked with on the halter. I s this heifer too old to work with? Do thesev prices seem reasonble? I have no experience with show cattle so I need all the help I can get. This man is a reputable breeder.

Those prices seem pretty decent but like Cowgirl said shop around a bit and see what all you can find. and no a 12month old heifer isn't to old to break i'm breaking one thats 12 months old right now for a friend. The only thing thats diffrent between halter breaking a 6 month old and a 12 month old is weight and how hard they can fight. just keep that in mind also. if you need anything pm me.

Well I'm 6' 3" so I could probably hande her. I just didn't want to get something that would discourage me my first time. I am attempting to find some others.

Keep shopping around. Why a brahman ? Brahman cattle tend not to sell well at the local sale barns. I feel like you cant get into another breed alot cheaper and come out better in the long run. I will be glad to assist you if you need help pm me

i didnt mean to hit submit .. it seems to me that your breeder is trying to sell you a cull or replacement heifer, not a show heifer, for the simple reason that weaning calves are 250 to 750 higher. you have to realize the breeder has more time and money tied up in the older heifer. again pm me if i can help

I trust this man very much but I still understand that he has to make a living. He explained that everyone wants heifers right at weaning when they begin school. He said this heifer was born early and that she is of good quality just as the others but her age is the reason for the discount..Brahmans are what I like. They are hardy for our weather. They standout. Brahman and Brahman influenced animals sale very well in my area-moreso than the british breeds. Grade Brahman cows go for close to $1200 with true F-1's going for $1500+.

I live in South Texas, so I understand your issues with the climate, but if that's your only reason for choosing a Brahman, you might also consider another American Breed.

However, you should be fine with a Brangus or a Beefmaster or a Santa Gertrudis, etc.

Well i under stand that you want to show a breed that you like thats like me and brangus's and simmentals. and i can see why a brahman cow would go for higher than a british breed also(thats how i't been down here on the markets for a while)

I like how they look. We've had Brangus, Beefmasters, and a friend owns Gerts. None of them to me look as good as a Brahman. I like their looks and they personality as well as their smarts. But for a second choice it would be a paint beefmaster. In my opinion if I'm going to spend $2000-$3000 I am going to buy what I really want even if a brahman costs a couple hundred more.I am going to look at the heifers this week with the ag teacher. Thanks everyone one for your thoughts. I am sure i will have plenty of questions in the near future. :p

bubchub":110mz26b said:
I trust this man very much but I still understand that he has to make a living. He explained that everyone wants heifers right at weaning when they begin school. He said this heifer was born early and that she is of good quality just as the others but her age is the reason for the discount..Brahmans are what I like. They are hardy for our weather. They standout. Brahman and Brahman influenced animals sale very well in my area-moreso than the british breeds. Grade Brahman cows go for close to $1200 with true F-1's going for $1500+.

I would think a brahman influence female would do better than a straight brahman. Go for a beefmaster, gert, or simbrah. One other thing to consider -- beefmasters are one of the largest breeds at Ft. Worth (50 in some classes)

If you haven't bought a calf yet, check in the the jr. associations. Some are superior to others. State and national shows can be a blast. I know that the Jr. braham association is tough to complete in. It seems like the the same ole kids win each and everytime. I know winning isn't everything, but it does increase the fun when you do win. Good luck finding your heifer.

ffamom":2tc5dxcf said:
If you haven't bought a calf yet, check in the the jr. associations. Some are superior to others. State and national shows can be a blast. I know that the Jr. braham association is tough to complete in. It seems like the the same ole kids win each and everytime. I know winning isn't everything, but it does increase the fun when you do win. Good luck finding your heifer.

I'll chime in with ffamom: look at breeds with the Jr. National shows in mind. Don't limit yourself to just County and State Shows, Those Breeds I know to be great at the National level are Maine-Anjou, Simmental and Shorthorn. They will all do well in HOT, HUMID climates also.

bubchub":1vpc6kl9 said:
Joined FFA this week. I need to find a Brahman heifer that I can show this year. I called on some today. Heifers 1-2 mo. until weaning are $2000-$2500 with some up to $3000. The man did have a 12mo. old heifer he said was born at the wrong time he will sell for $1750. She has been on full feed but has not been worked with on the halter. I s this heifer too old to work with? Do thesev prices seem reasonble? I have no experience with show cattle so I need all the help I can get. This man is a reputable breeder.

I read in posts all the time about calves being born at the wrong time. Forgive me for being stupid, but what does birth date have to do with breeding stock? You can show a Heifer until she turns two, and even after that as a Cow/Calf pair.

AAOK":3i2lul9l said:
bubchub":3i2lul9l said:

I read in posts all the time about calves being born at the wrong time. Forgive me for being stupid, but what does birth date have to do with breeding stock? You can show a Heifer until she turns two, and even after that as a Cow/Calf pair.

For ex. Simbrah heifer.
A summer born heifer, July, she can show in the junior show at the State Fair of Texas when she is 15 months old, that is the only time that she will be able to show in the junior show at the State Fair. The next year she would only be able to show in the open show, too old to show in junior show. Same with Houston, she shows when she is 71/2 to 8 months old, which is only a couple months after weaning, or she shows for the only time in the junior show when she is 20 months old.

I'm sure that some breeds are different, but, that is why most say that the summer born heifer's are born at the wrong time.

mom