First time to have puppies....HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
So my female red heeler and my father's shorthaired border collie finally mated yesterday so she is likely soon to be bred. But I am new to raising puppies. Ruby is 3 years old and very loyal to me and it's one time deal for her and Ollie as they will be fixed after the puppies. I know nothing about how to take care of newborn puppies, how to keep them as healthy, how much feed Ruby should recieve for the milk production. Also should we set up an area for her to have puppies in?

taurus, provide ruby with a place to whelp. if she is a house dog, a large box with old blankets will do, if she is a barn dog, provide her with a bale of straw in an out of the way place - then leave everything to her. as far as food; regardless of what the dog food companies promote, any good balanced dry dog food will do with one or two cans of additional food during the week. some people part with the puppies at 4 weeks of age, but we have always kept them a little longer, say 6-8 weeks. call your local small animal vet about puppy shots (very important). just let ruby do what comes naturally and you'll be surprised how easy it goes. up there where you live there shouldn't be any problems finding homes for the puppies, good luck!

First thing is start her on prenatal vitamins, the poeple kind work well. It's handy to have a welping box. Basicly a box with sides a couple of feet high and a 2x6 mounted horizontally on the inside about 4 inches from the floor of the box. Gives the pups an area to lay in that the momma can;t lay on them. We used to start feeding her free choice at about 30 days bred. Have the welping box somplace conveninet but out of the way. Get her used to sleeping in the box so that when she welps she'll be more likely to use it rather then a closet or behind the couch.

Don't even think about taking the pups from their momma before 49 days. I don't know about your state but it's agains the law here to take em before 8 weeks. We all fudge it but 49 days is the minimum.

There are good pictues of whelping boxes on line and they are not hard to make.

Make sure they get their shots and if you can afford it their dew claws taken off in the first couple of days.

Feed momma puppy food after she has her puppies. Too much calcium can delay labor don't over supplement. Have a whelping kit ready with paper towels, garbage bags, a notebook and pen, sterilized scissors, a watch, puppy milk replacer and bottle. Have a whelping box set up. If you plan on her whelping inside a plastic kiddie pool with newspapers and towels on the bottom of it work well. Check out this site it has lots of good info on it
http://www.cpvh.com/2011/07/27/gestation-in-dogs/

Good luck and have fun! Take lots of photos as they grow up you'll appreciate it later and so will their new owners.
Aprille
(vet tech for the last 10 years)

aprille218":ti3c1c2m said:
Feed momma puppy food after she has her puppies. Too much calcium can delay labor don't over supplement. Have a whelping kit ready with paper towels, garbage bags, a notebook and pen, sterilized scissors, a watch, puppy milk replacer and bottle. Have a whelping box set up. If you plan on her whelping inside a plastic kiddie pool with newspapers and towels on the bottom of it work well. Check out this site it has lots of good info on it
http://www.cpvh.com/2011/07/27/gestation-in-dogs/

Good luck and have fun! Take lots of photos as they grow up you'll appreciate it later and so will their new owners.
Aprille
(vet tech for the last 10 years)

good post!

My puppies born last week
2013-03-09_16-55-26_999_zpsfd6b9dad.jpg

Ruby had a litter of eight health puppies this morning. Four boys and four girls, all black and white at this moment.

Taurus":2fv5f4v0 said:
Ruby had a litter of eight health puppies this morning. Four boys and four girls, all black and white at this moment.

Congratulations ! Don't forget to post some pics for us . :nod:

You too 3way , looking forward to seeing Bella's puppies . :D

Not going to well at this point. Vet said last week he could only see 4 puppies on the ultrasound. We had to little females ok except that the second one came feet first. I got it going ok but then she tried to have a BIG male the sale way and he didn't make it. I worked on him for about 15 minutes but he never took a breath!

Still waiting for #4!

3waycross":2gbsd3yp said:
Not going to well at this point. Vet said last week he could only see 4 puppies on the ultrasound. We had to little females ok except that the second one came feet first. I got it going ok but then she tried to have a BIG male the sale way and he didn't make it. I worked on him for about 15 minutes but he never took a breath!

Still waiting for #4!

Poor Bella !
Sending good thoughts your way , I hope she and her pups are OK .
Sorry about the male pup Vic . :frowns:

Well it's over and she never had #4. Stayed up most of the night waiting for it but it appears that there was never more than 3. I took her to the vet this morning and had her xrayed and she is empty.

We have two little females and they are doing well. I had to give #2 some CPR but not much. I sure wish i coulda saved that male. He was a dandy!

No more puppies for Bella she is done. Nuthin but hunting and hanging out with Vic for her!

slick4591":3jx9aupu said:
Sorry about the one, but I'm glad the girls are doing okay. Maybe one of them will give you more pups one of these days.

I am trying to work a deal with a fella who i sold their older sister to a couple of years ago. We may breed her next winter and i will get a puppy out of that litter. Bella will be almost 7 by the time thry are born and i will have time to train her before Bella caves in and can't hunt anymore. Who knows i may even campaign her a little if it looks like she has what it takes!

3waycross":h8lf9dco said:
Nuthin but hunting and hanging out with Vic for her!

:clap: :banana: You are going to have one happy little girl !

Glad the pups are doing well , make sure you post some pics of the cuties when you get a chance . :D

I am so very glad we didn't breed Nikki, as she never would have survived pregnancy with the liver shunt . Who knew horrible hip confirmation would be a God Send .

Latest posts