First time Livestock owner

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi all, we just got a couple of angus heifers that we're going to be raising for beef this fall. Never owned livestock before- we've gotten guidance and help from our neighbor (who sold us the cows). Thanks for having me in the group!
Congratulations.
When do you expect they will be ready to butcher?
You should check with your local butcher about scheduling an appointment.
In some locations butchers are already booked until March 2022, so you might need to have your plan in place now. The pandemic has really triggered an increase in the popularity of home grown beef.

Last edited:
Hi all, we just got a couple of angus heifers that we're going to be raising for beef this fall. Never owned livestock before- we've gotten guidance and help from our neighbor (who sold us the cows). Thanks for having me in the group!
Welcome to CT!

Congratulations.
When do you expect they will be ready to butcher?
You should check with your local butcher about scheduling an appointment.
In some locations butchers are already booked until March 2022, so you might need to have your plan in place now. The pandemic has really triggered an increase in the popularity of home grown beef.
Wow, yeah that's crazy. My husband checked with a place, they said they were working about 3 weeks out, so not too bad.

I have dates booked for Aug/Oct and Dec 2021.... and June July and Aug 2022.... with nothing available after Sept 2022 through the end of the year... and we have been using this facility for 20 years...
Wish we had some where that was even 2 months out...

Latest posts