First time heifers…

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have 1 cow and 2 first time heifers (angus) that I want to breed soon. They are 18 months old. I have the option to AI (which was my original plan), but also to rent a bull from someone who had only used him on 4 cows. I'm worried about first time heifers and breeding a bull with unknown birth weights… thought? I really want to go the bull option because it has been hard to AI them - work/school, hard to watch for heat detection, or could go cidr and injections route.

You could go the timed AI method with shots and CIDRS. If everything lines up just right that in theory would probably be the way to go. We however have not had good results with that at all, but it could have been timing or other issues.
The heifers being 18 months old should have good size and might do ok with the bull especially if you are able to watch them close if assistance is needed.
If the bull is an Angus, there is a good chance that he is low birthweight or around average, which should be ok under most circumstances. There is however a chance that he has some more powerful growth genetics in his background which could present problems.

You could go the timed AI method with shots and CIDRS. If everything lines up just right that in theory would probably be the way to go. We however have not had good results with that at all, but it could have been timing or other issues.
The heifers being 18 months old should have good size and might do ok with the bull especially if you are able to watch them close if assistance is needed.
If the bull is an Angus, there is a good chance that he is low birthweight or around average, which should be ok under most circumstances. There is however a chance that he has some more powerful growth genetics in his background which could present problems.
Yes I have only done one with the injections and cidr and she took but it's a lot of work to run them all thru the cute 3x… when I could just use a bull lol! Yes he is angus as well.

Breed of bull?
Heifers calving at 27 months bred to bull of the same breed should rarely have a problem calving.
He is Angus. I'm going to see if I can get the genetics behind this bull. If I do I'll post them and see what you all think. The heifers are pretty good sized. My cow is a Hereford. On the smaller size but she's been bred once to another Hereford and last year to an angus. Both times calved with no issues.

lets look ahead to what you plan to do with the calves once they hit the ground. are you planning to keep any heifers to add back into the herd or will the calves just be sold after weaning? if you are planning on retaining heifers, genetics from a bull that someone bought to breed four cows may not have the genetics to improve what you already have. If you AI, you will likely improve your genetics, improve feed efficiency if you feed the calves out, and you do not have to worry about introducing any disease problems that the bull may carry. As far as calving problems, it is always best to observe all three at calving time regardless of which way you go. even an older cow can have problems if the calf is not positioned right, twins, or countless other problems that can pop up.

lets look ahead to what you plan to do with the calves once they hit the ground. are you planning to keep any heifers to add back into the herd or will the calves just be sold after weaning? if you are planning on retaining heifers, genetics from a bull that someone bought to breed four cows may not have the genetics to improve what you already have. If you AI, you will likely improve your genetics, improve feed efficiency if you feed the calves out, and you do not have to worry about introducing any disease problems that the bull may carry. As far as calving problems, it is always best to observe all three at calving time regardless of which way you go. even an older cow can have problems if the calf is not positioned right, twins, or countless other problems that can pop up.
Yes great points thank you! I plan on castersting and keeping the steers to feed out and selling the heifers. Currently I don't have the room to retain any heifers.

If the bull is reasonable looking I would definitely go the bull. With AI the odds are you are going to need the bull anyway and this will drag out the calving interval along with a lot of work and expense. The bull should go bang bang bang, finished. You are lucky to have the option of the bull.

Ken

If the bull is reasonable looking I would definitely go the bull. With AI the odds are you are going to need the bull anyway and this will drag out the calving interval along with a lot of work and expense. The bull should go bang bang bang, finished. You are lucky to have the option of the bull.

Ken
Thank you Ken. I'm going to get photos tomorrow from the current owner. I'll post them here to see what you all think

Here are photos of him. I don't know enough about confirmation to know if he's decent but he looks nice! How long should I have him out with my ladies to make sure he breeds everyone?

Attachments

• 50A43163-4FB5-4E52-AA48-9AB391B22453.jpeg
    50A43163-4FB5-4E52-AA48-9AB391B22453.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 5C65ED92-BDCA-45FF-9874-8E0794B06C19.jpeg
    5C65ED92-BDCA-45FF-9874-8E0794B06C19.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • B5A1E42A-7769-4D98-AC36-A362287792BF.jpeg
    B5A1E42A-7769-4D98-AC36-A362287792BF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Based on his looks alone, from the pictures which don't tell the whole tale, he appears to be a nice bull. Surely 60 days would get your girls bred assuming he's good and sound.
Thanks! We are going to keep him for 60 days and I'm sure he'll get the ladies bred. The 4 cows he was put with all had nice calves.

Latest posts