1 ton

1400 corn (course)
200 soybean meal
200 distillers
25 lime
50 mineral
30 salt
100 molassis

The nutritionist who advises this formulation says that it'll come in at about 14% protein.

Does this seem okay?

This is for my herd of 6 cows and 4 calves.

I've talked about them on this forum before (search for "skinny cow"). An update for anyone who remembers. In the last couple of weeks they've been weaned, wormed and are getting grain. There has definitely been an improvement. And, damn!, do they like that grain.

Thanks
JR

Limomike":2nrbl6e9 said:
I guess its up to you whether you want to spend your money on that or not.

What do you mean? Spend my "money on that or not" as opposed to what? Do you recommend another, simplier, cheaper formula?
This one comes to $260/ton (that's probably not cheap but it's the cheapest around here - that I know of at least).

Thanks

I wasnt trying to put you down for getting the feed. Just merely giving a statement about buying that much feed for only 6 head.

This may have been mentioned in "skinny cow" thread, but cant remember....is your hay of decent quality and protein levels?? If so, simply go with a corn and salt/mineral mix. Spending unnecessary money on lime(could be wrong, but think it only serves as a limiter?) molasses has no nutritional value other than making it more liked by the cows...and you already stated they are on grain..shouldnt have to be bribed. And the soymeal is simply a very expensive and unneeded thing to add/buy for 10 head! Especially if the hay is of decent protein levels...simply lots of protein infested manure!

buckmaster33":28cjl7vk said:
This may have been mentioned in "skinny cow" thread, but cant remember....is your hay of decent quality and protein levels?? If so, simply go with a corn and salt/mineral mix. Spending unnecessary money on lime(could be wrong, but think it only serves as a limiter?) molasses has no nutritional value other than making it more liked by the cows...and you already stated they are on grain..shouldnt have to be bribed. And the soymeal is simply a very expensive and unneeded thing to add/buy for 10 head! Especially if the hay is of decent protein levels...simply lots of protein infested manure!

I was posting the protein levels of my hay just as you'd posted this. My hay's protein is 6.4 (dry matter). Low.
I think that's why the nutritionist recommended upping the protein.

Limomike":ey4p9x0s said:
I wasnt trying to put you down for getting the feed. Just merely giving a statement about buying that much feed for only 6 head.

Hi

I didn't feel put down (I've developed a tough hide since I started hanging around these parts ;-), I just didn't understand what informed your comment.

One thing, though I wrote out the mixture by the ton, I'm only buying 1/2 ton (10 100 lb bags). If I'm feeding them about 50 lbs/day, that should take me through about 3 weeks. At that point I'll reevaluate where their condition is. But, I am up here in upstate new (was 5F last night) and I am feeding them hay that's been tested as having only 6.4 available protein (dry matter basis). The energy (which I think is represented by the TDN line) is 60. I've been told that this is pretty poor hay. At 50 lbs. I'm below where others have advised me to be (1% of body weight).

So, is your comment the result of your being a forage/hay only guy? Or do you just feed less grain per day?

thanks
JR

ny_grass":3v5s0omx said:
(10 100 lb bags).
JR

100 pound bags? I haven't seen those in years and hope I never do again.

I commend you on feeding the cows, but why not just buy a good commercial mixed feed. It will do the job you need...

grannysoo":1tx579d0 said:
ny_grass":1tx579d0 said:
(10 100 lb bags).
JR

100 pound bags? I haven't seen those in years and hope I never do again.

I commend you on feeding the cows, but why not just buy a good commercial mixed feed. It will do the job you need...

I dislike the 100lb bags too. I'm not the smallest guy and once, so far, I've tweaked my back picking one up (in the wrong position, first thing in the morning, etc...).

But, this mix is ~$13.50/100lb. Maybe you have sources where you are that could do better than this but around here the only non-mill options that I've seen are things like Tractor Supply and they stuff costs way more and (frankly) looks like crap.

Also, why is buying a commercial mix better than supporting my local mill? They tell me that most of the corn is locally grown. Not sure about the soybeans (probably not). Better, right?

I use a custom pellet for my bull ration. I intentionally give them my lowest quality hay knowing they will get the protein, fat, carbs, etc they need through the pellets. My fields just don't produce good quality hay so I have to compensate for the bulls. For the dry cows I don't compensate. They get low grade hay and stay plenty thick on it. I think that's what you want to strive for is dry cows that don't really need supplement. For my cows that are calving now I buy better quality 3rd cutting alfalfa hay for their higher nutrient demand so I don't have to supplement them and it's cheaper for me than the pellets (I sense that's what other posters were getting at too). For me, the custom pellet is cheaper than the commercial mix and it's delivered in bulk so there are no 50 or 100 lb bags.

If the distillers is cheaper than SBM(and it should be) > Skip the SBM and add more distillers.
No real need for Molasses- so if its adding cost drop it too.

You should support your local mill. When I suggested that you buy a commercial mix, I was referring to something that they already have made up.

Most of the mills do an excellent job with their blends. Use their experience to your advantage.

grannysoo":1uiuvdel said:
You should support your local mill. When I suggested that you buy a commercial mix, I was referring to something that they already have made up.

Most of the mills do an excellent job with their blends. Use their experience to your advantage.

This, of course, is dairy country and the mill doesn't do anything other than mixes like this (their 14% heifer mix):
1 ton

800 corn (course)
350 soy hull
600 distillers
100 soy meal
20 salt
40 lime
16 minerals
160 molasses

The mixture I refer to above is cheaper than their pre-mixed.

molasses is also a bonding agent but you do want to limit the amount ( to much has a negative effect on the rumen ) 260/ton for 13-14% is pretty reasonable for this area.

HerefordSire":1drb6qmn said:
What does good quality hay run there? It would probably cheaper than high dollar feed? Correct?

My exact sentiments. Yes, I do feed my cattle feed, but mainly rely on the good hay, and stockpiled forages I have around here. I keep the feed to a minimum.

HerefordSire":zrb3vbye said:
What does good quality hay run there? It would probably cheaper than high dollar feed? Correct?

I'm less than a month from running out of the hay we made off my property (the stuff that's 6.5% protein). I have 500 bales reserved with a local guy. I don't expect it'll be any better. Off my property, I pay $1.25. For the other stuff. I'll pay $2/bale. I've seen hay advertised for as much as $4/bale.

It's funny, this post everyone seems to be steering me toward getting them hay and forgoing the feed.

I wanted them to be all grass-fed but their condition was so poor that people thought grain was necessary. Perhaps, after I go through this next 1000lbs of feed, I'll see how they look. If they're better, then I might switch them to better hay.

Here are the numbers:

Poor quality hay with feed:
10 bales/day = $20
50 lbs feed/day = $7
~$27/day

High quality hay at $3/bale (with no feed):
10 bales/day = $30

You should be able to buy 1,000 pound round bales around there somewhere instead of a square. It should be 50% less money that you are paying. If it isn't keep doing what you are doing @ the $27....you may be able to get it down to $20 per day and save a couple of hundred per month.

Just a thought, but isn't 10 bales a day a lot of hay for 6 cows and 4 calves.
If the hay weighs even 50lb per bale that is 50lb per head, even for the calves. I did not think they could even eat that much.
With good quality hay you should be able to get by on 20+ lb per mature head. 20lbX6 cows=120lb or 2 1/2 bales.
400 lb calves should have 8-9lb per day. even at 10, 4calves x10lb=40lbs or less than 1 bale.
Total of 3 1/2 bales per day. Even if the cows are a little bit over 1000lb you still should not need 10 bales per day.

kenny thomas":1qe3ufoa said:
Just a thought, but isn't 10 bales a day a lot of hay for 6 cows and 4 calves.
If the hay weighs even 50lb per bale that is 50lb per head, even for the calves. I did not think they could even eat that much.
With good quality hay you should be able to get by on 20+ lb per mature head. 20lbX6 cows=120lb or 2 1/2 bales.
400 lb calves should have 8-9lb per day. even at 10, 4calves x10lb=40lbs or less than 1 bale.
Total of 3 1/2 bales per day. Even if the cows are a little bit over 1000lb you still should not need 10 bales per day.

In theory you are correct. But...if he has no feed/hay left over each day, then blame it on poor quality...or maybe waste?

Latest posts