First time ever...

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
First time we've ever wished the rain would go around us in August. I have areas where puddles have stayed wet for over 1 year. Pastures that are usually concrete this time of year, are standing in water. On a better note, we have tons of grass. I have only rotated the cows a couple times this year and for the first time in years, ponds are full and no worry about anyone getting stuck,(although, last drought we got all our ponds in good shape so other than a couple in certain pastures, most are stick free)....
Needing a stand of pines clear cut.. Its why its raining. Once Sept is here, that land goes back to being soggy... If those trees are cut in the next few weeks, it wont happen.. problems problems

Really bored today. Since school has been delayed, i have 2 kids that work at schools and they have gone back to work. SO i'm keeping all 5 grandkids till the end of next week.. Its so pretty outside.. Its killing me being stuck inside. One kid is 2, she's fearless, fast and what everyone says, she teleports.. Keeping her inside is the only option for me. Luckily, she entertains herself now and isnt just interested in going up the stairs. Older kids play under the live oak with many hanging swings and ropes to keep them busy. Since the tree is very shady, i dont have to make sure they have sunscreen on. But, bored bored bored.... I'll take any kind of conversation if anyone else is as bored as me....

Rain makes grain, and grass. I may cuss the mud, but I'll take the rain any day.
Kids and hopefully some day grand kids do have a way of changing my schedule. But you know they only grow up once. I'm going to square bale this afternoon for the first time with my future haying crew. Since they are out of school. My daughter (11) is going to drive the tractor and my son (8) is going to ride on the rack with me. Thank goodness we only have two loads to bale. :) It will be something we will all remember for a long time I'm sure.

Think it has been a long time since I was bored If left to my own devices.
Exception would be having to read or listen to a long winded boring discourse.
Growing up church did a pretty good of boring me. So did school.
But thankfully those days are long past. Now I just want more time.

jltrent said:
Although rain can get old I will take it any day over no rain.
We laugh when we hope the rain goes around us. We just need those trees harvested this year....

Ryder said:

I have so many things to work on, the younger one is just a hand full..She is finally taking a nap and the older kids are outside on the swings. Makes my heart happy to see these cousins playing. I want them to grow up knowing each one of them has the others back. I didnt have cousins, or other younger family.. just my brothers reputation that i followed..lol.. he was a bad kid and i was treated like i was also.. But, i want these kids to know each other like brothers and sisters....

MurraysMutts said:
I'll fight the rain anyday vs a drought...

What, no pics of the cows enjoying all the good good grass?

Maybe later...
We have such a sort window to get these trees.... We need just a month of dry
Although, i beg for drought Nov to Feb.... my year is complete if we have a drought in those months....

MurraysMutts said:
Patience I reckon.

Is it a lot of trees?
Not to be too nosy, but what kind of money does pine trees bring? Do they pay by the tree or what?

They arent bringing what they should. These are being cleared for solar panels. Not really ready to cut, more like early thinning age. They'll be pulp wood and i cant remember what they are paying per ton.. These are a pine crop. We have around 600ish acres total of various ages from these which are the youngest to saw timber. Started planting them 33 years ago. Hardwood was bringing pretty good, our daughters place that is getting solar panels had a block of hardwood so that was clear cut too, but they moved on after cutting around 20 acres of our pines because of rain. I think over where they are clear cutting, we have 150 acres, something like that. I think one of the truckers said he had 9 tons on his truck... the first day they took out 20 trucks and said at that rate they might be done in a month...there are a lot of trees there since it stays wet and havent been thinned totally... ..

cowgirl8 said:
Ryder said:

I have so many things to work on, the younger one is just a hand full..She is finally taking a nap and the older kids are outside on the swings. Makes my heart happy to see these cousins playing. I want them to grow up knowing each one of them has the others back. I didnt have cousins, or other younger family.. just my brothers reputation that i followed..lol.. he was a bad kid and i was treated like i was also.. But, i want these kids to know each other like brothers and sisters....
What you want is a very positive thing.
Hope it works out that way now and always. :clap:

cowgirl8 said:
MurraysMutts said:
Patience I reckon.

Is it a lot of trees?
Not to be too nosy, but what kind of money does pine trees bring? Do they pay by the tree or what?

They arent bringing what they should. These are being cleared for solar panels. Not really ready to cut, more like early thinning age. They'll be pulp wood and i cant remember what they are paying per ton.. These are a pine crop. We have around 600ish acres total of various ages from these which are the youngest to saw timber. Started planting them 33 years ago. Hardwood was bringing pretty good, our daughters place that is getting solar panels had a block of hardwood so that was clear cut too, but they moved on after cutting around 20 acres of our pines because of rain. I think over where they are clear cutting, we have 150 acres, something like that. I think one of the truckers said he had 9 tons on his truck... the first day they took out 20 trucks and said at that rate they might be done in a month...there are a lot of trees there since it stays wet and havent been thinned totally... ..
Must be a mighty small truck if it only had 9 ton on it.

I'll be danged.
Dont hear much about timber here.
By the ton huh. Very interesting.
I'm curious if the ground is usable for farm work when they are done. But if they are putting up solar I guess it doenst matter

MurraysMutts said:
I'll be danged.
I'm curious if the ground is usable for farm work when they are done. But if they are putting up solar I guess it doenst matter

Up here the pine plantations are on the land that's too sandy to row crop without irrigation. Our paper mills are really struggling and demand for pulp isn't what it used to be, so not sure what's going to happen with all of that land over the next couple decades.

The papermill here closed and the sawmills aren't doing any good either. Lots of the logging companies are quitting. It's bad. Lot of equipment for sale.

kenny thomas said:
cowgirl8 said:
MurraysMutts said:
Patience I reckon.

Is it a lot of trees?

Must be a mighty small truck if it only had 9 ton on it.

I may have the weight wrong. I at first typed 90, i thought it was 90, but being scared to get something wrong made me think maybe that was too much and i'm remembering it wrong.. These are loaded logging trucks. So is 90 more of what they carry? As we call the trucks that haul pulpwood, its a stack of sticks...

MurraysMutts said:
I'll be danged.

Back when we bought the place, someone had tried to farm this land. Its too wet. Cows do ok on it. They do great spring to fall, but winter they struggle because its so wet. Doesnt grow great pines either. There were a few years we considered bulldozing them. But after the last drought, they kind of took off. Just stays too wet, makes thinning a problem. Just like now, clear cutting is a struggle.... The land here at the house grows pine better and its only a couple miles away. This is where we have the big ones.

Latest posts