first time clearing fence line -any tips?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Not too embarrassed to say I'm a total newbie who is learning from scratch on maintaining my new land. Going up to begin working on my overgrown fence lines for the first time (5-10 years of mostly neglect). I'm bringing a chainsaw (w/ safety gear), weed-eater-style brush cutter, pruning shears, and a backpack sprayer. Gonna spray some and clear some. What other tools do I need to throw in the back of my truck? I'm about an hour from home to property. No cattle on the place yet, so fence repair will come later. Any tips appreciated.

Lots of water and bug spray. Good luck.
Forgot to add, make sure you have plenty of extra fuel and oil for the chainsaw, plus a file for sharpening. I always manage hit the fence more than a few times.

If you have a fair amount of small brush and vines that you'll be cutting, a pitchfork works well for gathering it into piles after cutting. And if you'll be alone, keep your phone in your pocket and make sure someone knows where you are, since accidents can happen in a heartbeat when working with a chainsaw.

A good pair of leather gloves and a set of hand pruners. I have found that I use the hand pruners about as much as the hedge clippers and chainsaw. I agree with what the others said about cell phone,bug spray and water.

My wife and I have been doing the same for the past week, don't know where you are but down south we been in a little heat wave. A cooler with ice and Gatorade besides the water cooler comes in real handy. I roll a little ice in a towel and put it behind my neck, works wonders. Also a folding chair is nice for break time to soak up what you 've done and absorb how far you have to go. :) A can of wasp spray and all the above. Enjoy and be careful. A little safety minute before you start to think about how you are gonna go about it won't hurt.

Kingfisher":2ma1xewn said:
A couple of chains. A light one to tie around and a good one to tie it to the truck.

All the above, but king gave you a good one. Working with light equipment like you are. You got in and cut every thing you can at ground level. Cut the old fence every 100 feet or so. Tie chains around the bigger stuff and pull it out in chunks with the truck or tractor.
If you're leaving the old fence you will go down and kinda fillet the brush of the fence and then pull.

A long piece of strong cloth that you can use to make a tourniquet with. I don't know how far off the beaten path you are, but a lot of the places I clear out fence, IF something were to happen, I would bleed out without one, even with the aid of an atv to get help.

Lots of liquid for drinking. Axe/hatchet. Tools and file for saw. Painkillers.

Good footwear for strong footing and grip when you enevitably cut into a bush with a hornets nest in it. That is when the chain with a slip hook comes in handy to hook and reel in your abandoned running chainsaw with 30 mad hornets around it.

TennesseeTuxedo":2lybn8wf said:
I'd focus on spraying now and wait until late fall to start clearing the fences themselves. Crossbow or a similar product do wonders to knock back the woody stemmed stuff.

Good luck!
Good advice here. I'd let the chemicals do the work and come back when the ticks and chiggers are gone.

AdamsCreek":vcnrmr63 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":vcnrmr63 said:
I'd focus on spraying now and wait until late fall to start clearing the fences themselves. Crossbow or a similar product do wonders to knock back the woody stemmed stuff.

Good luck!
Good advice here. I'd let the chemicals do the work and come back when the ticks and chiggers are gone.

+1 work smarter, not harder. If you'll wait a month or two, you won't waste your time killing what will die naturally, or could be killed with simple glyphosate. Then you can saw and cut when it's cooler.

Brute 23":2a8dliu4 said:
Dont waste your time with saws and stuff. Spray it dead and let it fall. If you must you can pull it out after its dead. It's a lot easier.

+1 on that especially as most everything in it will stick,sting or bite you that is in it right now.

AdamsCreek":1e6pwbca said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1e6pwbca said:

Good luck!
The shine and Aaron's pain killer rub out the ticks and chiggers. Now go rig up that pull chain!...:)

I cant believe someone has not already said this. Get a bulldozer and a quart of shine. Sit and sip the shine and watch the dozer clean the fence row. He will do more in an hour than you can do in a week.

Latest posts