First time bull weight loss.

Help Support CattleToday:

Joepriest

Reaction score
I'm new here and to raising cattle. I have a black angus bull birth dec 7th 2011. I turn him in with 9 angus heifers around April 15. He looked really good when I put him in now he's lost a lot of weight. They are all on pasture and plenty of it. Pasture is fescue, lespedeza and Bermuda. The heifers look great but he's lost more weight than I would have thought. They've all been wormed and had their shots.
He hangs his head low and kinda has me worried. I know bulls will get down when he's with the girls but I bet he's down 250 or 300 lbs. any ideas ?

Thanks joe.

He has been on fescue from birth. That was my first thought too. I called the ranch a got him from and his pasture has a lot of fescue in it. Plus I keep it topped off befor it seeds.

Nite Hawk":2icywrv0 said:
You said the bull was standing with his head down. Is it possible he is sick?
That's my worry. As soon as I get him in the Shute I'm going to give him a shot of antibiotics and a shot of B12. Going to worm him again to be on the safe side. Does this should like over kill to anyone ?

Check his temp before giving the antibiotics. No high temp= no antibiotic shot needed. The vitamin shot and deworming would be fine. I'd try to use a different kind of dewormer than you used last time just in case he has something that is resistant.

aprille218":23shksvf said:
Check his temp before giving the antibiotics. No high temp= no antibiotic shot needed. The vitamin shot and deworming would be fine. I'd try to use a different kind of dewormer than you used last time just in case he has something that is resistant.

I will do that thanks. I have kept a close eye on him last few days. Everyone thinks I'm just worrying to much but I have a lot of $ in this bull not to worry.

Latest posts