First time AI. Cidr? Lutalyse? Both?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Moved to registered cattle, and want to AI. I ordered a 20 liter semen tank , 3 10 packs of cidr. What else do I need ? Do I need to get Lutalyse as well? What's the most effective way to do this? And recommendations on bulls. Thanks. I have 10 final answer daughter cows that weigh about 1,500 pounds.

A simple TAI (Timed Artificial Insemination) is the 7 day protocol. You will need:

CIDRs
GnRH (Fertagyl or Cystorelin)
Lutalyse.

Google Select Sires Seven Day Timed Artificial Insemination Synchronization. It will provide the details.

I missed out on breeding cows/heifers in the past because I didn't realize that you could breed without seeing signs of mounting. When you pull the CIDRS it gives you a window or time when you can breed them without seeing them in standing heat. It is worth the cost of the CIDR to do that. Use a good mineral and/or multimin for best results.

If your breeding your own cattle, forget TAI sync them, use a patch breed when needed.then breed all that's left at 72hrs after removing cidr. If a tech is coming then TAI may be the answer.
Day 1 gnrh +cidr
Day 7 remove cidr + pg
Around 60 to 72hrs on mature cows breed + gnrh
Lot of folks don't like the patch, absolute time saver worth the $1

Why is pg? With no bulls in the pen ? Would I be relying on other cows to mount and scratch the patches ?

Do you know how to artificially inseminate a cow? Or do you have someone lined up to do the breeding for you?

PG is Lute or several other products.
Other cows will rub the patch.
If you haven't ever done this, don't waste your money, hire it all done the first time and watch.

Found a tech on Craigslist. Said he only does a shot of Lutalyse. And averages 60% . Charges $30 a head.

Lrj505":1eix1tk6 said:
Found a tech on Craigslist. Said he only does a shot of Lutalyse. And averages 60% . Charges $30 a head.

I have done it that way too, one shot and they will come in heat in the next few days, best if they are a couple of weeks from last heat. But still need to watch them pretty close. I had good success with it when doing it that way. Probably around 80% take.

Latest posts