First one of 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Nice lil bull calf

PART_1457364136001_IMG_20160305_134319050_zpstc0ik8fz.jpg

Ky hills":1ygvvp09 said:
Nice cow/calf pair, best wishes for the rest as well.

Thanks and same to you... She is the most protective mom I have she went crazy when I grabbed the calf to tag it. she tried to get in the portable corral with me and was lifting it and head butting it. I just tagged and let him go. I will band him later in about a month.

TexasBred":mbd4iwha said:
Off to a good start. Hope it all goes well for you. Are the horses bred?? :hide:

Thanks same for you... TB if one is bred I will personally drive it to your house and drop it off. ;-)

Sweetie is not letting us near her calf yet. She'll ease up in a day or two, her last calf she didn't mind us being around. I see how folks get hurt messing with calves. Don't take a moma cow for granted, this is the first calf that she's been overly protective of. We're hoping for a heifer calf, so I'm sure it'll have nuts.

True Grit Farms":25nsknqo said:
Thanks Sky, she really suprised us. But the coyotes have been out lately, so maybe that has something to do with it.

this cows worse since she cant hide the calf in the woods if a loud truck goes by she scares the calf up and ran the calf through a barbwire fence he started running shes running behind him balling he went through fence it snatched his neck back he fell thought it snapped his neck but he got up after a minute. When you have a over protective mother like that IMO its just as bad as having one that wont take the calf in a way. I will not bring her to the lot to calf anymore shes too dangerous and its dangerous for her calf.

Looks good sky. Mine are ramping up for the spring baby boom too. Had 9 in the last week or so and 3 yesterday. 15 to go and then my spring herd will be done. Hope your calving continues well. TG, if you ever need help with one let me know. I tag, band, doctor navels, give BoSe and Vitamin shots by myself. It gets hairy at times but I've gotten used to it. Still have a couple that I can't do by myself. They don't know what gear reverse is!

Bob is coming out tomorrow afternoon to palate while I work the cows. He also has to do a health examination on the heifers for the sale. Should be fun.

I had the first calf of the year yesterday. Nice healthy black whitefaced bull calf. When I went to raising replacement heifers I sold off almost all of the cows. I only kept 2. So I have one down and one to go. Oh the pressure of this calving season.....