First one is here....

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
My 90 lbs. heifer arrived at 1 pm today. It was so cold ,her nose was turning blue. I had to bring her in for a bit. Put her in a tub of warm water, got her navel iodined and gave her a bottle of colostrum. She'll be going out to her mom shortly.
1-17-07_006.jpg

Joy in Texas":1v55xp8p said:
My 90 lbs. heifer arrived at 1 pm today. It was so cold ,her nose was turning blue. I had to bring her in for a bit. Put her in a tub of warm water, got her navel iodined and gave her a bottle of colostrum. She'll be going out to her mom shortly.
1-17-07_006.jpg
congrats on the healthy heifer calf.

Joy, congratulations on a beautiful and (not so) little heifer. I bet her mom's having a fit and will be glad to get her back all dry and warm. Wonderful ears!

she's soooooooooo cute.
were expecting two within the next month. i hope it's not still cold. my wife would kill me if i brought them in the house. although my kids would love it!

Thank ya'll . She's doing good. It decided to warm up around here. So I took her back to her mom. Both are doing just great.
When we found her her little nose was purplish blue. I knew if I didn't do something she wasn't going to make it.

TNfamilyfarm":euvf0w5d said:
she's soooooooooo cute.
were expecting two within the next month. i hope it's not still cold. my wife would kill me if i brought them in the house. although my kids would love it!
LoL thats why I'm the wife. My husband doesn't really like calves in HIS garden tub. But oh well....

Joy in Texas":2t2ugw3x said:
TNfamilyfarm":2t2ugw3x said:
she's soooooooooo cute.
LoL thats why I'm the wife. My husband doesn't really like calves in HIS garden tub. But oh well....

Hey Joy...Van always says that when ya' gotta do something remember that forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Ya' done good...and that baby is a cutie.

Alice

I'm sure your husband is glad to have a live calf, Joy! Especially one that pretty. How is she doing?

We once brought one into the house. The calf fell into cold wet mud while trying to stand up the first couple of times...a couple of hours later, she was flat out, shaking, eyes rolling back. Scared me to death! I used warm towels and a hairdryer, got her all de-mudded and warm and fluffy. I think she imprinted on that 30 minutes of attention, has always been one of my very friendly favorites. She just got bred this past week and will, hopefully, be a mom herself next fall.

Thank you Alice,she is a pretty one. Yes Gale he is happy to have a live calf. He was all better after the tub got cleaned lol.
Have a problem though. The calf's feet are buckled under. So she can't walk very good. After it started raining this morning Decided it was best to bring her home and raise her. We have another cold blast due in this weekend and I dought if she would make it.
She is doing just fine. And I took another calf to the cow. See if that works and hopefully in a few days I can give her calf back. I know it's alot of wishful thinking, but stranger things have happened.

Joy in Texas":286vjvvl said:
Thank you Alice,she is a pretty one. Yes Gale he is happy to have a live calf. He was all better after the tub got cleaned lol.
Have a problem though. The calf's feet are buckled under. So she can't walk very good. After it started raining this morning Decided it was best to bring her home and raise her. We have another cold blast due in this weekend and I dought if she would make it.
She is doing just fine. And I took another calf to the cow. See if that works and hopefully in a few days I can give her calf back. I know it's alot of wishful thinking, but stranger things have happened.

Joy,
Do you have a barn/shelter to keep the pair in. That's more intervention than I'm accustomed to. Cow has to accept another calf then you'll be extremely fortunate to get the original back on her. You must like bottle feeding better than I.

The legs will straighten up, Joy, but with this weather, I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Sometimes ya' gotta do what you think best...'cause right now, it's risky to drop back and punt.

Alice

Cowdirt":3i1ttmnw said:
Joy in Texas":3i1ttmnw said:

Joy,
Do you have a barn/shelter to keep the pair in. That's more intervention than I'm accustomed to. Cow has to accept another calf then you'll be extremely fortunate to get the original back on her. You must like bottle feeding better than I.
I wish there was a barn on this place. But sad to say no. But there will be. Bottle feeding isn't all that bad.

Alice":imdaoati said:
The legs will straighten up, Joy, but with this weather, I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Sometimes ya' gotta do what you think best...'cause right now, it's risky to drop back and punt.

Alice
I had another heifer that legs did the same thing. Hers were straightened out in a day or so. This little one is just slow moving around and I know it's because of the cold. She is in a shed here at the house. Alice would it hurt to give her a shot of selenium ?

Joy in Texas":7sj3iviy said:
Alice":7sj3iviy said:

Alice
I had another heifer that legs did the same thing. Hers were straightened out in a day or so. This little one is just slow moving around and I know it's because of the cold. She is in a shed here at the house. Alice would it hurt to give her a shot of selenium ?

It wouldn't hurt her, I don't think...but I don't know that it would make a difference. I don't think the soil here is selenium deficient. Any idea where the mother cow came from?

If the baby's legs are turned back at the "ankles" then they've just got to be given time to straighten out, and the ones I've dealt with take more than a day or so...more likely a week or more. But, Joy, I will admit...I've given babies that had a hard time getting around shots of Bose...just in case and as a last resort. They were calves from the sale barn...need I say more?

Your's didn't come from the sale barn...just make sure you give the Bose, not the Muse...if you decide to give the shot. Dang, I know how hard it is to back off of anything like this...I rarely do... :?

Alice

Thank you.... She is doing alot better this morning . Sucked down 2 qts. in no time. Her little feet are straightened out and she's walking alot better ,so I got her loaded up in the trailor and taking her back to the cow. I guess the poor thing just got to cold when she was borned.
1-18-07_004.jpg

1-18-07_002.jpg

Joy in Texas":296am853 said:
Thank you.... She is doing alot better this morning . Sucked down 2 qts. in no time. Her little feet are straightened out and she's walking alot better ,so I got her loaded up in the trailor and taking her back to the cow. I guess the poor thing just got to cold when she was borned.
1-18-07_004.jpg

1-18-07_002.jpg

Joy,
Looks like things are looking up. Calf's legs should be fine. Hope mama remembers her new daughter. I admire your persistence and hope everything goes well

Latest posts