First heat/breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

klasqh

Reaction score
At what age does a filly come in heat for the first time? Also, do people check birthweight of a stallion's offspring like in cattle to breed a filly to for the first foal?? Sorry for the dumb questions - better versed on cattle breeding than the horses.

Not sure on 1st heat for filly. However, I believe most breeders don't actually breed their fillies until about 3 years old or so, some wait longer.

To avoid possible unwanted pregnancy, would keep any stallions away from a filly after probably 9 mos of age or so(?).

We weigh our newborn foals soon after birth...as soon as we can distract mama for 2 or 3 minutes. Just pick up foal and weigh both you and it on a portable scale...subtract your weight, of course...lol.

I would say three yrs old is the youngest to breed a filly, they still have alot of growing to do up to the fourth year (growth plates and maturing). I like to wait until they are four, I start them at 30 months, so they have plenty to do and learn to wait for a foal.

They can come into heat as early as 5 or 6 months but usally toward nine months. The Stallion can also breed as early as 5 or 6 months but usally toward 12 to 18 months.

Haven't heard of weighing foals for Birth Weight Rates, but common sense needs to apply. Don't breed a 17.2 Clydesdale to a 13.2 pony

Latest posts