First foal

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Calves are born all of the time, but the arrival of the first foal is always special. I have 5 Arabian broodmares, only 3 were bred for this year. First foal, a colt, was born a week ago today. Thought I'd put some pics up of him. He'll probably wind up gray like his moma, he's got a few gray hairs around his eyes. Mom is 19 and still raises a beautiful calm foal!

This new baby has a big time dish
sidedish.jpg

With a quotation mark looking blaze
frontshot.jpg

Daughter holding him, he's one of the calmest we've had.
annancolt.jpg

Aw......now that is just plain cute! All legs. A beautiful girl your daughter is too.

I'm surprised at how much of a coat they have. My paint has maybe a little bit more and she has to endure some pretty cold temps.

Do you also train and show them?

MistyMorning":3pipjvk4 said:
I'm surprised at how much of a coat they have. My paint has maybe a little bit more and she has to endure some pretty cold temps.

Do you also train and show them?

Well it's 30 degrees here now, and that's considered cold for us. Not much of a winter compared to Minnesota.

2008 was the first year we actually showed. I found a very young (16) trainer just starting out, and we brought a 3 year old gelding to two shows. He actually got reserve champion in "sport in hand" at Spindletop (Houston), which was a surprise to all of us. We were awestruck by the number of quality Arabians there.

Although I've always loved Arabians, I don't like the fact that most quality arabs are priced out of reach of the normal family. To show that one gelding for two shows cost me somewhere around $3000. To me that's just too much for the average family. This year I have a new policy with the sale of foals: all of them sell for $500 period. And to no breeders, only families. The only way that the Arabian can gain mass popularity is if the local average family can afford them. I have the good bloodlines, and a stallion that's sired a national champion. I don't need to pay stud fees, so I can afford to sell cheap. I want the local 13 year old girl, just like my daughter, to be able to afford a good Arabian. And if they can't afford $500, then I'll give em terms.

By the way Misty, I have a paint also!

Oh my. Such a beautiful little guy. Many many years ago I had a half Arab mare that I bred to some registered studs, she did a real nice job and gave me some beautiful babies. I loved that mare. She ended up a rose grey and even tho she threw sorrels they roaned out as they aged.
Love them faces...

Good lookin' cold Cypress...and beautiful daughter. I like that big "?" mark the cold has between his eyes. ;-)

That is one cute colt, but I wouldn't say his blaze looked like a ?. I think it looks like a drooling pac man. :)

Latest posts