first fair with tie outs

Help Support CattleToday:

Braunviehboy

Reaction score
In 2 weeks I am going to my biggest show so far. This show you have tie outs all the shows I've done they've been in pens. My show cattle have be tied up some but not to a bar with nothing around them help? What about dividers? I am taking a small bull and a 18mo heifer and I wont something around them.

When I tie out, I use the 'cross tie' method. First I tie the halter lead at a comfortable level with a little bit of slack and to a vertical part of the pannel so they cannot slide back and fourth. Then I tie the neck tie but i do not tie it in the same spot as the halter lead. I tie it down one space if that makes sense. This method seems to keep them where they are supposed to be and not under other people's cattle or even worse, loose. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to draw it out for you or something like that.

If your cattle aren't used to neck ties, rather just stick with a rope halter and tie them as low as possible, leave just enough slack for them to get up and lie down safely and to be able to stand with their heads in a normal position.

I make a knot (if you can even call it a knot) where the lead rope comes through the eye of the halter to keep it from coming off. (as the lead comes through the eye go back and around the halter and through the loop that it cerates again)

Braunviehboy":1j7312bw said:
But what do you think about dividers?

WHY???? There isn't a need for dividers if you put neck ties on them. if you dont have neck ties, get a spare rope halter and reverse it. then tie the rope to the right of the actual calf halter about 3 feet with enough slack to lay down and get up.

your 2 ropes should make a Y against the fence Y halter tied on the left and neck rope tied on the right

Snider_Angus":661ba8c4 said:
Braunviehboy":661ba8c4 said:

WHY????

Because they keep the area looking tidy and professional
Because they distinguish your stud from others, giving promotional benefits
Because it stops the next animal sh!tting into my clean stalls
Because it stops the next animal turning around and sh!tting on my animals food
Because it stops the next animal from eating my animals food
Because it lets me get in at my cattle without worrying that the next one will kick/headbut/swing etc
Because it stops two unfamiliar bulls fighting
Because it stops two unfamiliar females fighting
Because it creates a significant barrier to the mongrel angus bull that wants to serve my MG heifer
Because if I have a baby calf I can put in a third divider and a gate and make it a pen
Because it looks good

Reasons we use dividers, anyway.

There isn't a need for dividers if you put neck ties on them. if you dont have neck ties, get a spare rope halter and reverse it. then tie the rope to the right of the actual calf halter about 3 feet with enough slack to lay down and get up.

your 2 ropes should make a Y against the fence Y halter tied on the left and neck rope tied on the right

Keren":34rny9kb said:
Snider_Angus":34rny9kb said:
Braunviehboy":34rny9kb said:

WHY????

Because it lets me get in at my cattle without worrying that the next one will kick/headbut/swing etc
Because it creates a significant barrier to the mongrel angus bull that wants to serve my MG heifer
Because if I have a baby calf I can put in a third divider and a gate and make it a pen
Because it looks good

There isn't a need for dividers if you put neck ties on them. if you dont have neck ties, get a spare rope halter and reverse it. then tie the rope to the right of the actual calf halter about 3 feet with enough slack to lay down and get up.

I think this is where there is a difference between US and Austrailia. Over here, tie outs are only for the night. We do not keep them there during they day; not very many, if any at all see the cattle while in tieouts. So for me as well, there is no real need for a divider in the tie out area.

i have used tieouts before and depending on where you are you might not need them. i can see where your comming from about other calves being problems.
but check with the grounds and see if your even aloud to put up dividers. they might not alow it.[some shows are weird ive founfd out from personal experiances]

WHY????

Because it looks good

your 2 ropes should make a Y against the fence Y halter tied on the left and neck rope tied on the right[/quote][/quote]

I think this is where there is a difference between US and Austrailia. Over here, tie outs are only for the night. We do not keep them there during they day; not very many, if any at all see the cattle while in tieouts. So for me as well, there is no real need for a divider in the tie out area.[/quote]

No, not different. We tie in the barn during the day with dividers, stall displays, and keep it very clean. We use the tieouts at night.

Were we tie out that is were they will be till the fair ends. My dad is going by the fair grounds to see what they alow and what we need to bring.

Braunviehboy":xilcmdg5 said:
Were we tie out that is were they will be till the fair ends. My dad is going by the fair grounds to see what they alow and what we need to bring.

So the tie out area is where your cattle will be the stalled during the entire fair or the tie out area is reserved for you to use to tie your cattle outside at night during the fair? you shouldn't need dividers for tie outs unless you don't want other cattle touching yours while tied. Dividers do make the cattle display professional plus it keeps the cattle separated from the tack area if you have one.

Rope Halter or Halter is tied in one direction
Neck Strap or Neck Chain Rope is tied in another Direction
Rope are tied long enough for steer to Eat & Drink
044_7A.JPG

For dividers we use straw. or we get creative like this....

If you look behind me and the calf you will notice we used straw on the sides and in the back we put together small stands, describing the calves and decoration than used rope to connect the stands.

Or if you look on sullivans they sell metal dividers.

A few of the shows I go to, I would rather have them tied up out in the open on a rail. It allows people to walk around them and it will stop bulls digging up the bedding. The only times that I apprecciate having a shed is if its hot or wet.I never house my show cattle at home. They only ever get tied up at the tie up rail out of the yards or on the rails in our yards. I use neck straps on all my bulls whilst at the show. Its good back up if a halter breaks. It also restricts a bull from pushing and shoving at the animal next to him.I never put mature bulls next to each other. I always separate them with a young bull or sometimes a cow.You will be surprised how your cattle behave. They will most probably enjoy being outside.
Colin

Latest posts