First Cook Book

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I am not one for cook books. I generally look up recipes on the internet when I am curious, but I am a meat a taters kind of cook. I have had two cookbooks that made an impact on my life, the first was My First Cookbook, which you would send away for from Imperial Sugar. It was a child's cookbook, with all kinds of simple recipes that really helped you to learn to measure and mix and all that stuff. My sister had one and so did I. I learned to make biscuits that way. The second was one I purhased when I first went to college and had an apartment and want to impress dates. It was called Cooking For One Or Two, and I still have it somewhere. It had a really good recipe for hommeade brownies and stuffed chicked breasts. I used it until pages started falling out.

What were your first cookbook experiences?

I love the convenience of the internet too. As a kid, someone got me the Holly Hobby cookbook. It was great. I remember learning how to make simple but wonderful things like baked apples. Right before college, my dad got me the Fannie Farmer Cookbook and I still reference it today. I also have a recipe box with recipes I took down from my grandma, dad, and aunt who are all passed on now. Amazing, how important those recipes still are to me. Tonight, I'm making potato leek soup, one of the recipes from my trusty box.

I guess it would have been a cookbook put together about 40 years ago as a fund raiser by the ladies in our church. Lots of good simple inexpensive country cooking. Mom took a 3 PM - 11 PM job as a nurses aide in the early 70's when money got tight. I learned by warming up meals she had left for Dad and me. I picke up things by watching her and asking questions. Started experimenting with recipes I found that sounded good.

I got one from a guy I bought a dozer from about 10 years ago. Something like "Cooking-Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow". Compiled by this guy's mother, Anna Kubacak, who lives in the Abilene area. Has a lot of good recipes and other useful information in it.

My mom has a 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook and I remember that as a kid. Mom always encouraged me to cook as her own mother wouldn't allow the girls in the kitchen .

However I collect church cookbooks and I will say they have the finest cooks around........ and it doesn't matter which religion it is those church ladies can cook, so I don't think one can ever go wrong purchasing one.

Latest posts