First Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Our first calves sired by BB Backbone's General are hitting the ground right now. We have had six heifers and 3 bulls so far, and we are really liking them. The heifers have averaged 69.7 lbs and the bulls have averaged 68.3 lbs, all born unassisted out of first calf heifers. Most of these first-calvers are Tony daughters. We still have five more left to calve, and I am thinking that two will go within the next week. Here are some photos of the calves.

940 Heifer- This is a 3 week old daughter of General and a Tony granddaughter. She had a 62 lb birth weight and was quite feisty when I tagged and weighed her. Her mother, 722, is phenotypically one of the nicest females that we have ever raised.

942 Heifer- This is a 16 day old General daughter out of a heifer that we purchased a little over a year ago. She is a slightly darker grey, which I really like, and her birth weight was 66 lbs.

944 Heifer- This is another General daughter and Tony granddaughter that is shown here at 6 days of age. She had a 70 lb birth weight and comes from a cow line that produces some really nice females.

923 Bull- This bull is a General son and a Tony grandson. He had a 64 lb birth weight and is pictured here at 3 weeks.

927 Bull- This calf is another General son and a Tony grandson. Despite being three days old here, he is an absolute tank. He was 80 lbs at birth.

And for reference, here is a photo of BB Backbone's General that was taken this past summer. He was breeding a group of 25 females at the time that photo was taken. General was born in 2015 and was the first AI sired calf that we ever had from Monterey Marshall.

Latest posts