first calves out of first timers

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I have heard some old timers say that the first calves out of young heifers are just never as good as the ones that follow. I have 8 calves about 6-7 months old, probably weigh about 400 lbs. give or take. I weaned them to let the cows catch back up and have been feeding them. I planned on keeping the heifer calves but wonder if I should sell them and keep some of the next ones to build the herd???? Any truth in the first calves not being as good???

Genetically they are just as good on the mother's side. Some people use garbage for heifer bulls so their calves are not as good. The other thing to remember is that first time calvers need a lot of food they are growing, feeding a calf and pregnant again. In a lot of places they just don't get enough food to have that calf grow properly.
So it comes down to what bull you have used on them and how much nutrition they were/are getting. 400 pounds does seem a little small for a seven month old but maybe you are looking to breed the smaller framed cows.
I would never write off a heifer just because she was the first. We've kept first calves and they have been great cows.

I'll second what Victoria said. That first calf is going to be every bit as good as the seed that went into it. So if you used a good bull, and the heifer did a good job raising the calf, theres no reason not to keep the calves. I am also with TurnThatCowLoose though: 400 lbs seems a little light for 7 month old calves, unless you have very small framed critters.

Rod

With proper nutrition, by the time a heifer calf from a heifer gets around to calving as a 2 year old you won;t be able to tell the difference between them and the ones out of cows. But at 400 lbs as weanlings, I wouldn;t keep the heifer calves anyway. They aren;t going to be grown out enough to calve as a 2 year old, unless as has been noted, they're very, very small framed cattle in your herd.

dun

I think a trip to the sale barn is in order. They can at least help feed the rest next winter.My timing was really bad on calving last year but hopefully will be better this time. Thanks

Latest posts