First calves...2 and 1 so far

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
Just wanted to contribute to the board. We had our first calves born a few weeks ago. Overall, a very cool experience, a little heart breaking but cool. We have had two baby bulls and one heifer. Unfortunately the heifer calf died 5 days after birth. The vet was not sure of the cause but it looked like she had trouble nursing and did not get the colostrum in the first 24 hours.

The two baby bulls (polled Herefords ) are doing great. We got a handful more calves on the way. I will keep the board posted!

I am learning a whole lot.

Thanks

Congratulations! Raising cattle seems to be a life long learning experience.

Good luck on the rest.

First bull calf. He is about 4 days old here.
bullcalf1.JPG

Here is a picture of a heifer we bought as a pair. She is the sister to two other cows we have.
heifer2.JPG

Here is the second bull calf. This one is not a great picture, but the back story is fun so I had to take it. Here he is trying to get into the pen to get to his mother. He has not figured out he can just go around the open gate. He keeps trying to to knock down the fence! Too funny.

newsbull.JPG

They only make up about 25% of my herd, but there ain't nuthin prettier than a Hereford,especially a baby Hereford IMO.