First calv of the year

Help Support CattleToday:

Shape of the horns on the black one suggest Gert or Beefmaster. I think Dane is saying the newborn is from a Hereford bull.

Whatever they are, I like the markings. :lol: Nice calf, congrats.

Farmgirl":1v69sqnj said:
Shape of the horns on the black one suggest Gert or Beefmaster. I think Dane is saying the newborn is from a Hereford bull.

From the pic looks like scurs, not full horns. Seems like we got a 4 way cross at the least. You got so much hybrid vigor, I bet that calf will weigh 900 lbs at weaning ;-)

My next door neighbor has about 150 of mixed, and I mean mixed cows. Everything from angus to brahman to charolais and every mixture in between. He runs good angus bulls on them,and gets nice calves every year. He culls his cows based on the mothering ability, and nothing else. Man, some of those things are ugly, but he sure does get some good calves.

I've seen more than one commercial set up done this way. But I've never seen one succeed that didn't use good bulls. That is the deifinite key. The guy I'm referring to above bought 6 angus bulls from South Dakota(I think); the bulls are all of similar blood lines and he paid a truckload for them, but the calves they throw have proven the bull's worth.

the black paint looks like she could easily be a beefmaster cross. shes a beautiful cow and will be a good one i bet. and the calf could be hereford sired with the cow being as loud as she is. especially if she is part beefmaster, the little bit of shorthorn could spot up a calf pretty good.

out of that bananahorned brangus f-1 looking cow, to get that much white on the calf (assuming the brangus cow isnt part Gyr) she would about have to have some beefmaster or a spotted simmental in the mix.

Beefy":2ev810vj said:
the black paint looks like she could easily be a beefmaster cross. shes a beautiful cow and will be a good one i bet. and the calf could be hereford sired with the cow being as loud as she is. especially if she is part beefmaster, the little bit of shorthorn could spot up a calf pretty good.

not clear how these color patterns all work, but I have saw a shorthorn x Hereford that looked almost full blood short horn, maybe the bull even though looking Hereford had a bunch of shorthorn in him.

thanks to everybody for all your input to good ones and the bad ones.I was just thinking today how boring it would be if we all just had black angus.

Love that striped tail! Nice calf. The cow looks like the opposite to The Phantom. ;-)
We now have pretty much nothing but solid red calves and I am sometimes a little jealous of spots, brockles and different colour patterns. Solid red is boring but it sells for more around here so I go where the money is.
Looks like your cow is doing a good job of being a mother and that's the most important thing. Congrats. :)

Latest posts