First Calf of the Year!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Taylor Orr-of Whitney Creek Angus, Rapelje Mt.- on the angus site wanted to see some pictures of the calves sired by the Bannon of Wye son I bought from him...Thought I'd stick them on here too....

Heres some pictures of the first calf sired by Whitney Creek Bannon 730T- born Feb 3rd...I can't complain as she's about what I want- light birthweight (70lbs)- easy calving build- vigor and survivability (born on a -25 windchill night and was up and had sucked when I found her)...Might lose some ear- but I'm used to that...About what a guy needs from a calf....

Calves2-12-09005.jpg

Calves2-12-09004.jpg

Her "ugly" mother that you'd think was going to eat you alive if you didn't know better- but this is about the furthest away I could get because she is looking for a handout of cake or get her head scratched ;-) A Strategy daughter (which I am not a fan of- but have several cows sired by her MGS Miner Tribute 705 that are fantastic)....
Calves2-12-09006.jpg

You guys posting pictures of bare ground- and grass make me envious... Heres what this country looks like...The feedground wouldn't be bare- but we scraped it so we weren't getting stuck or bouncing over frozen cow turds feeding.. And the snow on the hay meadows is too deep to get around in a lot of places....
Calves2-12-09007.jpg

Calves2-12-09011.jpg

Calves2-12-09009.jpg

Some of the 2nd cutting hay I hauled into the yard to save from the deer- that are eating some out out of house and home..
Calves2-12-09010.jpg

Cow and heifer heading back to the feedgrounds from water...Lots of grass and feed still out there in the hay meadows if/when they can find it....Where the snow isn't too deep- everything is ice....
Calves2-12-09008.jpg

I spent the afternoon at the salesyard...Wittkopp Angus out of Circle Mt. bull sale.. Nice set of quiet bulls (only saw one look like he wanted to get on the fight)...
Averaged about $1900 for around 60 bulls- only had 1 no sale- which in my opinion should have been a no nutter in the first place...
A Mytty In Focus son was top seller selling for $5000 to Timber Coulee Ranch...To me the In Focus sons were by far the best looking bulls sold- followed by the Lead On sons....

One of their neighbors sold a set of commercial yearling heifers afterward-pasture/grass wintered- weighed about 625 for $610...

What are doing calving in Febuary? Did you plan that one? I'm not sure what to think about you bottom river dwellers. ;-) You'll find out how much vigor he has if you don't get him tagged. :) But it will probably fall of with the ear. Anyway nice calf. It'll be nice to see it as it grows over the next year.

Horseless":kk3q9y1a said:
What are doing calving in Febuary? Did you plan that one? I'm not sure what to think about you bottom river dwellers. ;-) You'll find out how much vigor he has if you don't get him tagged. :) But it will probably fall of with the ear. Anyway nice calf. It'll be nice to see it as it grows over the next year.

:lol: :lol: Yeah- Actually that one was planned...That cow and another one I wanted bred to certain bulls- so put them in with them early-- then just turned the bulls out later with all the cows- and will use bloodtesting to determine sires on....
I was looking at the calf the other day- and I now don't think it may lose much ear...Maybe just around the edges where it turned red-frostbit.. Hopefully I caught it early enough- because she does have a pretty little head....
And that big old 6'3 270lb son of mine was the one that wanted holding off tagging it (his calf)- so guess who gets to find out the vigor... ;-)

Latest posts