First Calf Of The Year

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
On Sunday, we had our first calf of the year. So now starts the best part of calving, the late night checks. Its something that most farmers probably don't look forward too, I know I don't, but thats part of farming. In order to make anything, we need to sacrifice a couple hours of sleep. Anyways the calf is a healthy tan little bull. We don't know if we are keeping it as a bull yet but chances are we probably will. Here is some pictures of it, see what you think. Ingore the dates, its a new camera, still trying to figure it out.
102_0085.jpg

It is a herford, red angus and charlias cross
102_0083.jpg

This is the mother
102_0086.jpg

mother and calf
102_0084.jpg

The brown and white face calf is the new addition since 4 pm last night. He is a steer.

Nice calves. And that is just the kind of cow that I like too.

Just curious why you want to keep the tan calf as a bull?? Three way cross isn't usually the best way to go.

those are some goodlooking calves.i never did mind the late nite check on cows.havent done a nite check on cows in 9yrs.

randiliana":2mdk9uw3 said:
Nice calves. And that is just the kind of cow that I like too.

Just curious why you want to keep the tan calf as a bull?? Three way cross isn't usually the best way to go.

It will be a back up bull.

i like the calving season, late nights, rain, snow, etc.... I HATE breaking ice. i live in the south i don't break ice maybe a dozen times a year total. i still HATE that part.