First Calf of the Season

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
Our 'spring' cows are due to start calving Feb. 20. We bought a couple sale barn replacements for two open cows. After our 6" snow dusting last night, one of them calved this afternoon. About a 70lb bull calf that appears normal and okay with one exception. It apparently has some type pigmentation problem, the whole calf is black hided and covered with black hair! Stands out like a sore thumb in the middle of all those reds - especially on all that fresh snow! Oh well, in about 7 months he'll grow wheels - will send him to town on a CAB ride! :D

fit2btied":2c2isfmk said:
Our 'spring' cows are due to start calving Feb. 20. We bought a couple sale barn replacements for two open cows. After our 6" snow dusting last night, one of them calved this afternoon. About a 70lb bull calf that appears normal and okay with one exception. It apparently has some type pigmentation problem, the whole calf is black hided and covered with black hair! Stands out like a sore thumb in the middle of all those reds - especially on all that fresh snow! Oh well, in about 7 months he'll grow wheels - will send him to town on a CAB ride! :D
:) Cab ride..........I like that ! Fricken Democrats! :)

That black baby will stick out like a sore thumb all summer!

Our first came on Thursday. I'd AI'ed her and she was almost a week late. I was really hoping she'd wait until Feb to calve, so we were glad she was late. A lively 72 lb heifer out of our grandson's 23 month old heifer. She's a pain in the neck show girl, so she was well grown and spit the baby out.
The rest of ours are pasture bred, and I might have one or two more in mid-February, but the rest of ours will start in earnest in 5-6 weeks.

Ok, I think I got it now. :?: May as well see if I can get my own thread locked. In a pen full of blacks, order buyers here would call to 'hold that one smokey'.

Latest posts