First calf of the season

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Yesterday the first calf was born of the season, very healthy, active and nursing. :banana:
4th calf, black bull calf with white on throat and belly like Momma. Mom is angus with a touch of shorthorn.
tumblr_nvo3l1pl8x1rdftrko3_500.jpg

14-15 season weaning weights were down by at least 50 lbs. None of them hit over 600 lbs, and last year the biggest weighed 760. Fingers crossed they are better, I'm chalking it up to the bull, because my best cows who consistently raise whoppers had calves all under 600 lbs. This is the last crop of my black angus bull I sold in July, I'm hoping the beefmaster bull bred some late cows and I will see some of his calves in May. Here he was the other day, he'll be 2 in February.
tumblr_ntratrWWA41rdftrko1_500.jpg

Nice calf. I believe you will be well pleased with your Beefmaster cross calves. I have been with mine. They grow off fast.

Calf is a day old, and definitely has more white on him than either sister, including the full sister. 2 weeks ago at the sale I watched calves with white throats/bellies sell for a good price, I'm hoping next year will be the same. Prices have definitely dropped in the past few months here, I sold 2 late calves the other day and definitely wished they had been sold earlier. Yikes.
tumblr_nvrs78ayaH1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Latest posts