First calf of the season (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I was surprised this past weekend to find my first calf of the season born April 11th. This is exactly 283 days from the bull in date last year. This is the first calf from my Huth bull T-21 which we discussed earlier here. If the rest of them calve as easily as this one I will be very happy.

A very nice 65 lb heifer from one of my target 1200 lb cows so I am very happy - a gift of new life for Easter.

Don't mean to bore folks here with pictures of one little 65 lb calf but I am excited about this one especially. Very easy calf and the dam 66 is a good mother. Hard to believe how difficult it is to get one good picture of a calf by itself! Constant motion! She was always turning towards me. It seemed like the only way to get a side shot was when she was nursing or being cleaned by mama.

I hope this one ends up being a keeper. We'll see how she weans out.

I decided I'll eartag her later when I work the cattle this summer. She comes right up to me and if she is a keeper I don't want to lose that right now. Here are some pictures.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

The cow looks like she'll raise the calf very well.

It would be interesting if you could weigh all the calves and compare it to past weights seeing that your cows are in such good condition this year.

A few more pics. I think she is looking for a playmate. Hopefully she'll have a couple more soon. She seemed to really be pretty clean and mature for just her 2nd day. Very calm and both cow and calf let me right up to her. In fact she comes up to ME. Now if she has her Mom's size, disposition & maternal and her Dad's numbers I will be looking to build a herd of these.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

KNERSIE":1z0yfl6h said:
The cow looks like she'll raise the calf very well.

It would be interesting if you could weigh all the calves and compare it to past weights seeing that your cows are in such good condition this year.

I plan to get as many weights as I can. The problem is I am usually not at the farm when they calve so it is often a couple days later when I first see them. Last years calves averaged much larger - close to 90 lb - out of an assortment of bulls. I have heard that a cold winter as we've had can also lead to larger calves but I hope the rest are this size (but then grow out well to my 50%+cow weaning weight).

Knersie, I was concerned about the effects on calves of wintering on that corn. Was I going to end up trying to calve greasy giants? But followed your advice, pulled them right at the end of January and if this one is typical they should be of reasonable size.

As you can see by some of the other pictures, the cows are getting real big/wide. I expect a bunch of calves coming soon. We'll see if T21's calving ease holds up or if this first one is just a bit of luck. I appreciate your and others comments and suggestions. Jim

I don't care if you have one or one hundred cows, I always like to see pictures. Especially of those new babies. You have a really nice pair there. Good job. :tiphat:

Latest posts