First calf heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have two first calf cows that did a real nice job raising their calves but it sure did pull the cows down a lot more than I like . I would like to try to put some weight back on them before it gets to bad weather I got some winter pasture but thought I would lot them for a few days and feed them will put a round bale of grass hay and feed
My question is what feed and how much would you all feed to try to make them gain back to where they should be ?
Calves will be taken off this week

they have been wormed , running on prairie grass, free choice wind and rain minerals ,and medicated range meal.
there is only two that looks bad

If you just have a decent alfalfa mix hay they should do well on that. I keep all my heifers and 2nd calvers apart from the big cows through the winter, I don't necessarily feed the more, I just make sure they get their fair share without too much competition. If you got some cubes or treats for them I'm sure they won't say no either.. it is of course optional ;)

Bigfoot":1liz0j54 said:
When are they due to calve again?
I have not had them preg checked but the calves are about 5 months old , cows looked ok till about 2 -3 weeks ago
I have a lot of 20% cubes calf manna brand bought all a place had the other day for 5.00 a bag they were fixing to stop selling them so I took all they had

I don't know how hard your winters are, but as long as you don't starve them over the winter they should be OK just with decent hay/grass, especially if you're weaning the calves soon... They'll have a good while to recoup

Nesikep":1iis84p1 said:
I don't know how hard your winters are, but as long as you don't starve them over the winter they should be OK just with decent hay/grass, especially if you're weaning the calves soon... They'll have a good while to recoup

Yep - always keep feed in front of them. I don't keep the cows and heifers separate - all get the same first cut trefoil mix hay through the winter and are fat as ticks two months before calving. Mine don't even get water - have to lick snow all winter.

Mine wouldn't know what to do with that white crap.. We don't get enough to ever teach them they can lick it... luckily we have gravity water and a good system, they have water tubs

Latest posts