First Calf Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Pictures of one of our first calf heifers.

100_1060.jpg

This heifer will be two years old next month the calf is a bull out of our Gizmo New Day 816 658 8005. Our first due date was supposed to be tomorrow but so far we have had eight calves but unfortunately one was DOA it was upside down and backward this would be a hard delivery for any cow much less a first calf heifer, so we feel fortunate that we were able to save the cow. I sure hate that we lost the calf.

100_1061.jpg

The second heifer is a New Day 8005 heifer her bull calf weighed 60 pounds. This heifer will be two years old on December 14, 2010 I really think she is on track to make a cow.

100_1063.jpg

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com

What was the BW on that calf? The grass looks pretty good down there.

The calf was 58 pounds and about 10 days early but got up nursed and has plenty of vigor. We have plenty of grass but the quality of the forage is just not that great this time of year, we have been blessed with rain and we have been very greatful for it.

Really nice heifers. Sure is nice when a heifer can squirt out them tiny ones on their own instead of having to spend so many sleepless nights if they are calving out 80-90 pounders.

Thanks I am proud of these two. Has the heifer you had photos up on here in the spring calved yet? I really liked her a bunch she was really deep and looked like she was going to make a super cow. Do you remember the one I am talking about you had two pictured I liked them both but the one was just my kind of cow.

Gizmom

No, 9203 hasnt calved yet. She is just a Febuary of 2009 calf so I didnt breed her to calve until December but she looks like she missed on AI so she is due Jan 2011 to the clean up bull. The other heifer is due in about 2 weeks to Forward. We are supposed to start calving heifers on the 27th, I am sure some will come early so figured this time next week we will start having them. This is my favorite time of the year as long as the cows cooperate, otherwise it is not so good.

Like you we try to calve our heifers alittle early the first year, so we routinely calve at 22 months of age they are plenty big enough to calve at that time, got one this year that will calve at 21 months and I bet you couldnt tell me which one it was. That gives them an extra month or so to get used to feeding a baby before they have to breed back. It works well for us. Good luck I will get you a call when we get all these AI calves on the ground and you can come look, we will spend a day going thru both herds (yours and ours).

JSC

This is my favorite time of year as well; after all we are seeing the result of a lot hard work and planning. I look forward to getting together with you to see your cattle I love looking at cattle ours as well as our neighbors.

Gizmom,
Had our first one today, a 70# heifer out of Sydgen Trust. The vet (you know who) called her safe to the cleanup bull so it was a nice surprise. 13 days early according to my little black book.

Took a picture of the heifer you like this week, but I am not gonna hijack your thread here, if you want to see it, you have my email.

JSCUNN

Yeppers she is looking good, it looks like she is going to have a really nice udder on her. I can't wait to see the calf! I think that is why I love this time of the year the anticipation of seeing the calves and how a first calf heifer does with it. Face it that calf is the result of several years invested in the breeding program, we really don't know if we have made the right choices until the heifers or bulls have babies.

I really like this heifer! From the look of her you have sure made the right choices.
Gizmom

Latest posts