First calf heifers- when to keep and sell.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry guys, but not the same cows? The first picture has a blaze face. The second picture with light calf doesn't have any white on her face. The second does appear to have a nice udder.

Taurus":33p6vrcn said:
Sometimes the heifer calves out of first timers looks pitiful but the first timers will become better next time with their second calf but that's just me and I'm glad that I gave them a second chance. I don't think her udder is that bad.

I'll admit, that is not what this greenhorn would imagine as a great udder, but If that udder indicates sale-barn, then I suppose I'll need to sell my entire herd.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the advice and comments. The first cow I pictured, she is weak in the front quarters. Her calf is fine condition wise, but very runty. She didn't bag up good until after she calved. I think I'll give her a second chance, fingers crossed. I guess I just nitpick flaws out of my cows and can't stand to see them after I've noticed them. But it's one thing to have a crappy looking udder and then another to have a crappy looking udder that produces crappy as well I guess.
Phil, these are entirely different cows. The first one is a first time calver and the second cow is pictured with her second calf. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Sold that runty heifer calf today! She weighed 435 and brought $638 after commission was taken out. I didn't expect her to bring alot. Very happy with my decision!

any heifers or cows that don't raise a good calf & breed back on time are gone, can't afford to keep a cow that is not making me good money. don't care what she looks like if she does her job

I would give them both a 2nd chance. The 2nd cow looks to be muscled nicely. It doesn't take a ton of milk to feed a calf in the beginning. If I had fall calves, I personally would put out a creep feeder as there is no clover to supplement the milk. In the spring time, the clover puts enough protein to take over where there is lack of milk. If you are dead set against creep feeding, I would establish an area in my pasture with Durana clover, and put up an electric fence around it so that the cows cannot get to it. But I would raise the fence up high enough that the calves can walk up underneath the wire to graze. Durana clover grows in the winter time as well, but more slowly.

Latest posts