First Calf Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
I just had a heifer that calved. She was bred to early and was a little bit to small in my opinion to calve naturally. I left her at the vet when it was about time to calve and he induced labor. He ended up pulling the calf with little problems. Both the heifer and calf act like there doing fine now but the heifer has been having some sort of discharge still coming out after four days. The first day back it looked like a prolapse but she must of sucked it back in. Now I just have seen stringy mucousy stuff hanging out. Could anyone tell what this is and if I need to worry about it.

sewall":3ekrw1th said:
I just had a heifer that calved. She was bred to early and was a little bit to small in my opinion to calve naturally. I left her at the vet when it was about time to calve and he induced labor. He ended up pulling the calf with little problems. Both the heifer and calf act like there doing fine now but the heifer has been having some sort of discharge still coming out after four days. The first day back it looked like a prolapse but she must of sucked it back in. Now I just have seen stringy mucousy stuff hanging out. Could anyone tell what this is and if I need to worry about it.
i dont think you need to worry.since she just had her calf.sounds like she hasnt cleaned out yet.an what your seeing is the afterbirth.give her time she should cleanout an be just fine.but if she gets to smelling an stinking real bad.she is infected an hasnt cleaned out.

If you are seeing pink or red colored tissue you might want to call your vet and ask. However it is normal for cows to have discharge- even large amounts for some time after calving. You may see small discharge for 2 weeks or so. It may be fresh blood colored, mucus or dark red to brown ( old blood). Chances are what you are seeing is normal. You may even find a yucky slimer or two on the ground or stuck to her rear or her tail. Don't be alarmed. Or call your vet & ask. Phone calls are free.

I was just makin sure. Never had one still be cleanin out after four days or at least I havent noticed one.

That's sounds normal to me too. I had 2 different heifers that took about 7 days to clean out. I would squirt iodine on their backends. Flies were bad at that time and I figure it couldn't hurt.
If your heifer starts draining a yellowish runny stuff it means she has an infection. So keep an eye out for that.

sewall":1n6jg57v said:
I was just makin sure. Never had one still be cleanin out after four days or at least I havent noticed one.

I've noticed some disharge in som e cases as much as 2 weeks after calving. If you're really worried about it you can use the sniff test. Get some of it on your finger and give it a agood sniff. If it stinks theire's a problem, if it';s just a bit disagreeable smelling it's just cleaning.